1997 V6 swap to a big block help

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Default 1997 V6 swap to a big block help

I know someone here has swapped a BBF in to there fourth gen. or knows somebody that has. I have a FORD 514ci. stroker and a C6 tranny that i'm going to put in my 97 camaro. Hoping someone has the ***** enough to admit they have and offer advise. Thanks

Old 08-03-2010, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Got A Camaro ? Why put a slower engine in it ? LOL

Old 08-03-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by CNCman
Got A Camaro ? Why put a slower engine in it ? LOL
WOW a stock LT car? that's REAL ORIG. where did you get the idea for that one? is it super fast? you really put a stock LT back in your car? are you really proud of the bastard LT engines????? NEWS FLASH KID YOUR ENGINE IS JUNK FROM THE FACTORY AND DIME A DOZEN!!!!!! STOCK ENGINE = BIG MOUTH AND YET NO *****!!!!

Old 08-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Step one would be to get a measuring tape out and see it its is possible. The camaro engine bay is very shallow and you can not cut into the sides cause that is the structure for the car. I think the front of the motor can only be about 28" tall and the motor can only be 1 to 2 inchs wider then a chevy small block. Even a non-LT1 chevy small block requires a cutting torch to get it in. I belong to 4 different camaro websites and I have not heard anyone putting a ford motor in a Camaro. I have seen a few people put chevy big block in 4th gens but almost everything has to be custom made.

I really think you will be 100% on your own for this one.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:23 PM
2nd Gear member

You're probably going to have to chop off the whole front clip and custom build something. Once you get the engine and suspension and steering mounted, you can just hang the skins in place. Cut out the tranny tunnel and build a custom one. Replace the rear end while you have it all apart (narrowed Ford 9" should suffice).

You will need a complete gauge setup of some sort as you won't be able to use any of the factory electronics.

Going to be one heck of an involved project, but would definitely not be something you see every day on the street.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Step one would be to get a measuring tape out and see it its is possible. The camaro engine bay is very shallow and you can not cut into the sides cause that is the structure for the car. I think the front of the motor can only be about 28" tall and the motor can only be 1 to 2 inchs wider then a chevy small block. Even a non-LT1 chevy small block requires a cutting torch to get it in. I belong to 4 different camaro websites and I have not heard anyone putting a ford motor in a Camaro. I have seen a few people put chevy big block in 4th gens but almost everything has to be custom made.

I really think you will be 100% on your own for this one.
I do plan to fab. from front to rear on this car and it will be done on a chassis jig. I only paid $300 from the auction for it and it's a series II with 178,000mi. and runs great. I am doing this to be a unique F-body cause people put chevy engines in fox bodys every day and it's time the tables turn and I have a 582hp/631tq BBF off bottle that needs a nice lookin home. I thank you "Gorn" for the honest info without bashing.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:22 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by fasfzr1
WOW a stock LT car? that's REAL ORIG. where did you get the idea for that one? is it super fast? you really put a stock LT back in your car? are you really proud of the bastard LT engines????? NEWS FLASH KID YOUR ENGINE IS JUNK FROM THE FACTORY AND DIME A DOZEN!!!!!! STOCK ENGINE = BIG MOUTH AND YET NO *****!!!!
i really am not a fan of this post. engine is junk? dime a dozen? my "bastard" LT engine is NOT junk. would you like to find out for yourself sometime?

ps...this swap is going to cost a boat load of money and take a even more work. i'd be shocked if this project ever gets finished

Old 08-04-2010, 02:26 PM
4th Gear Member

I do plan to fab. from front to rear on this car and it will be done on a chassis jig. I only paid $300 from the auction for it and it's a series II with 178,000mi. and runs great. I am doing this to be a unique F-body cause people put chevy engines in fox bodys every day and it's time the tables turn and I have a 582hp/631tq BBF off bottle that needs a nice lookin home. I thank you "Gorn" for the honest info without bashing.
So I see that CNC man ticked you off a wee bit. Did you for one second step back and wonder why a joking response would be given to you? Do you honestly believe that this is the first time anyone posted a "I have a v6 and want to replace the engine with a (fill in the blank)" thread?

So, can you shoehorn a big block into an F-Body? The answer is absolutely. heck, you could put a giant Hemi into one if you wish. But, it just takes time, fabrication and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

If your goal is just to find a home for the big honkin engine that you have, you made a poor choice with regard to a host vehicle. You could not have selected a worse model with limited space to accommodate its own engine, let alone anything larger.

But, a simple search of the forum would have revealed that because these 4th gens have been around since 1993, that's 17 years and you are not the first to ask the question.

Good luck with your project but as my momma used to say (may she rest in peace), "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"

cheers

Old 08-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

And he thinks CNC's response was bashing? Just wait till it's done and you take the car to a show or cruise-in and pop the hood
for all the true Chevy lovers to gawk at it. Be sure to wear your protective cup!

Old 08-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am doing this to be a unique F-body cause people put chevy engines in fox bodys every day
And no one puts Fords engine in Chevys. Hmmmm. I wonder why that is? No need to bash on this post. it speaks for itself.

Truthfully it hard to knock what can be done in a fox body with a ford motor for the price. I have been a Chevy Fan boy for almost 30 years but seeing what some of these guys are doing with limited budget it pretty darn tempting to jumpship.

Quick Reply: 1997 V6 swap to a big block help