1996 rs convertable

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member

also is there any specfic problems you guys have experienced running into while doing the brakes rotors so i will know ahead of time. thanks again guys

Old 09-05-2009, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default what tools do i need

I am also looming at requiring a begining tool set for basic stuff what should I be looking at SAE im sure is a 200 stanley auto set decent or should i be looking at getting a bigger set ? keep im mind im sure the tools will get more specializedas time goes on, but i want to be able to do basic things to start off with. I know this all sounds stupid but like i said im completly new to working on cars and i really dont know what i need

Old 09-05-2009, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default the pics

here are the pics i said from before finally got the cam to work right too many buttons lol

Attached Thumbnails 1996 rs convertable-my-car-001.jpg   1996 rs convertable-my-car-002.jpg   1996 rs convertable-my-car-003.jpg   1996 rs convertable-my-car-004.jpg   1996 rs convertable-my-car-005.jpg  

Old 09-05-2009, 03:26 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i like the 260 piece sears set in the plastic tool box. can get em on sale for 199 sometimes, i doubt the head gasket is the problem if u are leaking oil from the head area. most likely the valve cover gaskets. intake is not that hard but like u said not a good place to start wrenching for the first time. rotors and pads are an easy job, start with the plugs and see how that goes. u will be better off if u have a spark plug rachet, a long handled rachet that flexes. the rear plug on the passenger side is the hardest. i got mine from the top but i have long slender arms, u may have to go at it from the under side. u will need ot unhook the battery and take the starter lose and move it so u can get to the plug.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by reaper2702
I am also looming at requiring a begining tool set for basic stuff what should I be looking at SAE im sure is a 200 stanley auto set decent or should i be looking at getting a bigger set ? keep im mind im sure the tools will get more specializedas time goes on, but i want to be able to do basic things to start off with. I know this all sounds stupid but like i said im completly new to working on cars and i really dont know what i need

Actualy you need to be looking for mectric tools. About the only thing that is SAE on late model camaros is the spark plugs, and you can get a good spark plug socket for like 6 bucks at sears. Also when buying tools keep quality in mind you get what you pay for, sticking to good brands like craftsman, Kobalt, and Husky will save you plenty of headaches in the long run. I have sufferd my share of busted knuckles as a result of cheap tools breaking. Just start off doing small task and then tackle more
complicated stuff as your skill/confidence level increases.

Welcome to the world of auto repair and mods. Happy wrenchin'

BTW thats a sweet lil ride you got there.

Last edited by machine1999z28; 09-05-2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: addage
Old 09-05-2009, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default tools galore

well i told the wife what i thought i needed and she went out and bought me 400 bucks in craftsman tools and said happy anniversary ... btw the day i went ot go look at the car was my anniversary and she was more than happy to let me go she said she loves seeing me now its like im constantly smiling. I dont know bout that but i think tuesday im gonna give the wires and plugs a go. also on another note the left rear bottom side of the engine is really wet. i think its antifreeze but im not sure. how do i know if i have a blown head gasket ? im sure thats much much worse than an intake gasket ?

Old 09-05-2009, 10:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default rotors and pads

Ok so i got a quote for the rotors and pads. Do i need anything other than that ? the little items ? also if the pads are rusted on there or are hard as heck to get off any specfic tool to use not use? hammer crobar ?

Old 09-05-2009, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default rebuild ?

I was reading the other threads. my car is at 180k+ says at 200 you are about due for a rebuild. What exactly does that consist of ? Again newb question. And yes i have been reading alot.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:34 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if u are leaking coolant then u have an issue. could be a head gasket but unlikely. im not really up on 6s but i think there is a coolant line back there and i believe the intake can leak in that area also. u will need to narrow down the sourse as much as u can. a rebuild requires the motor to come out and consists of replacing things like the piston rings, crankshaft main bearings, connecting rod bearings, haveing a valve job done on the heads. the idea being to bring the motor back to factory specs.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member

First off let me say you have one helluva wife! My wife is still mad at me for buying my camaro. Anyways brakes and rotors are about all you need to do a brake job. When you say the pads are hard to get off I assume you're talking about getting the caliper off. The best way I've found to do this is to use a pry bar and wiggle the caliper off of the rotor, you shoulndt have to use excessive force or a hammer. Just put the pry bar in between the caliper and mount (after you remove the bolts of course) and gently pry off the caliper. After you get it off the pads should just snap out. Remove the brake fluid resevior cap and then use a c-clamp to compress the caliper piston back into the caliper. Then all you gotta do is slip an your new rotor, snap in your new pads, and reattach the caliper assembly. You can have someone pressure test your coolant system to see if there is a leak somewere. Also have a compression test preformed on the block if both of these test have good results the head gasket is proally o.k.

Last edited by machine1999z28; 09-05-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 1996 rs convertable