1996 rs convertable

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking 1996 rs convertable

Hello i am new ot this ofrum and i am currently buying a 1996 rs tommarow im pretty new to working on cars but i plan on making this a life long hobby . Ive had BLUE BOW TIES and the red white and blue emblem hanging on my walls since i could remember but what should i be looking to work on it has 139,000 miles oon it and it looks pretty good for the year. I know it hasent been wrecked. carfax . seems to be some oil i think comming from ehere the drive train would be in the center of the car. any ideas? or is that just grime from being in a garage for a few years? I couldent get under it was too hot burned myself on the muffler lol. but the guy is sellin for 2k and i really have always wanted a camaro here is my chance any help you could provide will be appreciated.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

also what can i do about the interior its the tan leather the driver seat is pretty bad off near he door is this something that can be replaced itself ? any ideas on where to ifnd one ? thanks again

Old 09-04-2009, 08:44 AM
1st Gear Member

2 grand is a pretty nice price, before anyone can really help you though I think you need to post some pics. Mainly for the interior, hard to tell you what would look good in your car without a look in it first. ;D

Old 09-04-2009, 12:03 PM
1st Gear Member

ill post up this afternoon the pics

Old 09-04-2009, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Need help where to start ?

here are the pics of my new 4th gen its a 96 rs im wondering where to find a new drivers seat in the same color leather i think the yard is a long shot. any got any ideas . ..... hmm wont upload them any ideas
why it wont work think i need a smaller size

Old 09-05-2009, 12:09 AM
1st Gear Member

hell the service engine soon light just came on common just bought it today ! guess ill get the codes tommarow at autozone .... please dont be anything bad the car is sounding really good and all the fluids are good too hope this isint a huge problem

Old 09-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Overdrive Member

you buy this from a private seller?

Old 09-05-2009, 09:22 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

gotta have the pictures down to a 620 then should work. at 2k im sure u have some issues. look the engine compartment over. do the spark plug wires look old and cracked? does the intake manifold have oil at ends or sides? cant see back but may be able to get hand back there to feel around and see what comes back on your fingers. keep an eye our for any coolant leaks. did u get the codes yet? there are some awesome looking aftermarket seats that fit nicely in the camaro. spendy though. there are also rebuild kits with new cushion and cover.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by reaper2702
also what can i do about the interior its the tan leather the driver seat is pretty bad off near he door is this something that can be replaced itself ? any ideas on where to ifnd one ? thanks again

Check E-bay you can usually find factory seat covers in good shape for less than 100 bucks, as long as your seat frame is in good shape all you have to do is peel off the old one and slip on the new.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I bought a wreck but i still love her

ok so the head gasket is leaking on the drivers side as well as the intake manifold also the rotors and braks need to be done and the tie rods in and out. i plan on doin the latter work myself but i am completly new to working on cars. any help ie how to guides will be most appreciated i priced the parts 500 for the good stuff. i dont think im taking on the manifold and head gasket probs tho a bit too much too early. I have access to a full professional garage with life for 10 dallars a day. Thank god for the military self help auto shop. also the codes were for the o2 sensors 2 of them got priced at $68 a piece. so my questions .. are there any specfic tools required for the brakes rotors and tie rods. also fro the plugs and wires. i know the plugs are irridium but how the hell do u get to the back plugs? do u need a lift. the mechanics out here are getting $95 and hour for labor so i rather do it myself plus i want to get to know her better nad get my hands dirty. kind sucks what needs to be done but i cant wait to do it ..what i can myself.

Quick Reply: 1996 rs convertable