1996 Chevy camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 1996 Chevy camaro

Hello I have a 1996 camaro V6 tat i bought off of craigslist for $1800 CASH all in 20's. anyway I have only had the car a few days and i am wanting to increase the speed on a budget. first off I am only 19 years old and I dont know hardly anything about cars but I am wishing to learn that is one of the reasons that I have joined this forum. Also I plan on doing getting a bodykit on my camaro but I recently found all this stuff on "ricers" and I was wondering that If I want to put a bodykit on my camaro will that mean that I am a ricer if i do this before increasing perfromance? Also if you cant see the pictures the front bumper was barley holding together just because of the bra and the bumper looks like i backed into something and I have a cracked taillight.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The only body kit I like on a 96 is the RS like kits. If you dont know what that is go to google images and search 1996 Camaro RS.

Fix you car first. See what parts you need to get the body solid. Swap out and flush the coolant change the oil, change the plug. You may find out on a &1800 car there is a lot to be done. THere is a sticky in the V6 section that tells you how to get started with mods.

Good luck and Welcome.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:54 PM

Read this article; it will give you some idea of the possibilities as well as the difficulties with various changes.

Given your situation, the fast, easy change is cold air induction, followed by "cat-back" exhaust system change.

http://www.camarohomepage.com/project/

Old 02-01-2010, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

okay Thanks for the help I finnaly got the pictures its in pretty good condition. okay so I will have to find a exhaust is there a certian kind that I should stick too?

Attached Thumbnails 1996 Chevy camaro-photo0069.jpg   1996 Chevy camaro-photo0050.jpg   1996 Chevy camaro-photo0053.jpg   1996 Chevy camaro-photo0062.jpg  
Old 02-01-2010, 07:23 PM
4th Gear Member

seriously

head off to Wal Mart and get some ramps, rags, interior cleaner, clay bar and a good wax.

first, give it a real good cleaning on the inside and that should take several hours. You will notice any loose rug, seats, console etc

next, wash it, clay bar it and then give it a real good waxing. Doing that you will find any blemishes, chips etc.

last, pull it up on the ramps and get underneath. f you don't know how, ask someone to help you with an oil change. Advance Auto parts has $15 specials of oil and Purolator filters going on all the time. Now that you are under there, grab those rags that I mentioned earlier and wipe down the grime and drips from underneath the car. That will get you familiar with the underneath of the car and you could then go back later to see if there are more drips which means a repair is needed somewhere.

next stop, do the same wipe and inspection under the hood. Wipe down the valve covers and around them. Wipe around the water pump. Push down on the spark plug wires and visually inspect them looking for cracks. Whiel you're at it, a new air filter would be appreciated by the car and probably some new wiper blades. Check all the fluids, brake, power steering, auto tranny (if it's an auto). Inspect your belt for cracks and wear.

You are now less afraid of going under the hood or under the car and did a good visual inspection and wipe down

Old 02-01-2010, 07:31 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by noah3210
okay Thanks for the help I finnaly got the pictures its in pretty good condition. okay so I will have to find a exhaust is there a certian kind that I should stick too?

lose that steering wheel cover. You can go to Ebay and find a wheelskins steering wheel cover. They are about $30 or more, take an hour to install but are well worth it.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

okay I will do oh another question Since I am in michigan and it very very cold here and A camaro is terrible on those icey roads what the best way to store it as you can see I dont have a garage. I just have the parking garage at the dorm thats all let me know thanks

Old 02-02-2010, 07:57 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by noah3210
okay I will do oh another question Since I am in michigan and it very very cold here and A camaro is terrible on those icey roads what the best way to store it as you can see I dont have a garage. I just have the parking garage at the dorm thats all let me know thanks
I can't help you as i fled the north and live in Florida and never stored a vehicle, i always drove them.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:52 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

car cover will help if its a good one. some are hard on the paint in the wind, theres a thread on here about it and tells a good one. lol cant remember what it was though. im a big help huh. anyways should start it once in a while and let it warm up, motor and interier.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I understand what you are saying torque I would love to that but I am in michigan and it is snowing off and on alot and it is very cold. so I do plan on doing that but during the winter that I cannot drive it because of the ice roads I was going to just buy my stuff and put it on when it become a temp that humans should be outside working on there. so far I got a list

Cat-Back exhast
cold air intake
and a radio an speakers
with subs of course

Quick Reply: 1996 Chevy camaro