1995 3.4 v6 not idling properly

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 1995 3.4 v6 not idling properly

I have a 1995 3.4 v6 camaro, and I'm having issues with idling. When driving at low speeds or coming to a stop, the car doesn't want to idle correctly. The RPMs fluctuate and the engine sounds like it's going to die (It usually doesn't, but has on occasion). As long as my foot is on the accelerator, I don't have any problems, however, it does hesitate initially. I mostly have problems when the car is warm, and driving in heavy traffic or anytime I have to make lots of starts and stops. Sometimes when driving down the interstate I let off the accelerator pedal and notice the RPMs pulsating slightly, but as I put my foot back on the pedal, it hesitates and then goes normally. Also sometimes when driving the 'Service Engine Soon' light comes on for a short while but always goes off on its own (This has happened 3 or 4 times now).
The other day, a friend noticed that the EGR valve was loose at the bottom of the tube, so I took it off and replaced the gasket, but I'm still having the same problems. I don't have much money to spend, and I can't get the codes scanned at AutoZone because it's an OBD1.
I've cleaned the throttle body. The IAC, and MAP is only about 2 years old.

I should also mention that if I start it up cold and let it idle in my driveway it does fine.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Cold engine - system is in open loop and the engine is running off of preset computer parameters.
Warm engine and after 02 sensors heat up - system goes into closed loop mode and then your air/fuel is monitored by the 02 sensors and the computer makes adjustments accordingly.
You may have a rich or lean fuel condition that is causing the 02 sensors to over compensate. But without being able to read your service engine codes, you're really shooting in the dark here. You need to find someone who can scan your system so you don't waste your time and money trying to fix parts that aren't broken.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:55 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

for starters check idle air control valve, thottle position sensor, egr, fuel pressure.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Update: I took it to a local mechanic. He hooked it up to his computer and it said that both oxygen sensors are bad, and also the throttle position sensor wasn't working properly. The throttle position sensor isn't old though, I've only had it for about 3 years, but I installed it myself and the mechanic said that it should be calibrated when installed.

We later discovered that my catalytic converter as well as my muffler was clogged, and he said that could be the reason it was showing that the oxygen sensors were bad. He took the converter off and installed a new muffler so that fixed the clog but he didn't check the oxygen sensors again to see if that fixed the problem.

I'm supposed to take it back to him after I get a new throttle position sensor and he said he'd put that on properly for me for a small fee. He said AutoZone parts aren't that great which is where the throttle position sensor came from. So where do you guys recommend I get one from?

Old 06-24-2013, 07:21 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

its not necessarily the store as it is the brand. even then its a crab shoot nowadays. i like to use acdelco when its oem, i go to rock auto and see what brands he has then go from there. most times he has the low level on up to high. then you can call around and see what store can compete with his prices. remember shipping costs when comparing.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah he said he always uses acdelco

Old 06-25-2013, 09:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

So I've just ordered a new AC Delco throttle position sensor from amazon. But do I really need a mechanic to put it on? The last one I got came from AutoZone and I just popped it on myself.

Also, I'm not so sure the throttle position sensor is bad, even though he said it is. When he had it connected to the computer, He said the throttle position sensor was showing 6% when the gas pedal was pressed 1/3 of the way down. But when it was pressed more it jumped up. Anyway what are the symptoms of a bad TPS? Would it cause my car to stall when coming to a stop?

I know I'm asking a lot on here I just don't know much about cars and the mechanic I took it to sounds like he knows what he's talking about, but he's pricey and I don't wanna be taken advantage of.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the position is jumping around its either the tps or a wire connection/wire damaged.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok so I took the car back to the mechanic today. He charged me $20 to put the throttle position sensor on "correctly" (to be quite honest I think I could have done it myself).

Anyway, there's not really a change in the way the car runs at all. It stumbles and dies when i try to accelerate or when I come to a stop. It also dies at idle.
He told me to get some outlaw fuel injection cleaner and call him if it didn't fix the problem. I really don't think it will fix it because I have put that stuff in before and it didn't help at all.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:55 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have you tested fuel pressure? probly be a good to consider pulling the injectors, take or send them to a injector shop and have them cleaned and flow tested, not expensive. replace injector o rings.

Quick Reply: 1995 3.4 v6 not idling properly