1994 Z28 rear wheel noise/ suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 03:31 AM
Default 1994 Z28 rear wheel noise/ suspension

I have a 94 Z28 that has vibration at higher speeds. i feel it in the steering wheel but the passenger seat gets it much worse. when nobody is sitting there i can see it bouncing rather hard. also when i let off of the accelerator the passenger side wheel hums and gets much worse when making right turns. does this sound like a wheel bearing to anyone? could it be anything else? The car also rides very rough. i can feel every little bump in the road it seems to corner fine and there is no bounce indicating bad shocks its just uncomfortably rough lol. Anyone have any ideas or advice ? any insight would be SUPER helpful! thanks

Old 02-24-2012, 07:07 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

jack it up and spin that wheel and see what it sounds like and how it feels as the wheel spins. check for wobble as well. to get a real feel for it you may have to pry the brake pad away from the rotor to free up the wheel so it spins easier and to allow for it to move/wobble. while your there check the brake pads and rotors for any sign of heat damage or warpage. a warped rotor can cause a wobble and vibration as can a failing bearing. look the tires over for any flat spots or odd wear patterns. a bad tire can also cause what you are seein.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:00 PM

Thanks Craby i will try out all of those options. Any ideas on the suspension?

Old 02-24-2012, 03:18 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

how old are the shocks? any mods to the suspension? has it been lowered? has it been in an accident? it does sound like you have a bearing thats not happy, i think the vibration may be the cause of the failing bearing. thats why you would want to look for anything that is out of wack.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:10 PM

I have the same problem in my 1994 3.4L 5speed. I replaced rear wheel bearings and drive shaft. My tires are also brand new. Soooo... Let me know if you figure it out because I'm freaking lost!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by CADGOD
I have a 94 Z28 that has vibration at higher speeds. i feel it in the steering wheel but the passenger seat gets it much worse. when nobody is sitting there i can see it bouncing rather hard. also when i let off of the accelerator the passenger side wheel hums and gets much worse when making right turns. does this sound like a wheel bearing to anyone? could it be anything else? The car also rides very rough. i can feel every little bump in the road it seems to corner fine and there is no bounce indicating bad shocks its just uncomfortably rough lol. Anyone have any ideas or advice ? any insight would be SUPER helpful! thanks
I would go by your feel not what the empty seat is doing. My guess would be a front left wheel bearing is going and you may have some other issues. Sometimes the bearing failure is a result of driving the car with a bad or out of balance tire. There is an APP for the Iphone to measure vibration. It will give you a spped range of the vibration then you can just sit down with a calculator and figure out what is turning that fast.

The slaming is pretty common if you still have the original stock shocks on. They are good enough you don't bounce all over the place but they do not absorb like they should.

BTW what CAD system you using?

Old 04-30-2012, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
i think the vibration may be the cause of the failing bearing.
Craby, Can you clarify this?

I have a very similar problem and it is VERY annoying. I know I have a bad right front bearing. Is the bearing causing the problem or did the problem cause the bearing to go out?

Last edited by DashingDaryl; 04-30-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: clarify problem
Old 04-30-2012, 04:31 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the rotor is warped or the tire or wheel are outa wack or front end out of alignment, its gona vibrate, the vibration will stress the bearing. if the bearing is old its not gona like being all shook up. i would change the bearing/hub and check for any vibration after.

Last edited by craby; 04-30-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Overdrive Member

I had the same hum/horn like sound from one of my front wheels making large long gradual turns -- wheel bearing replaced and the sound is gone, and I used to feel it in the steering wheel as well.

Your other issues sound like shocks, especially if they are original de Carbons! Get some Bilsteins or Koni SAs if $ allows.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. I found out which wheel bearing was bad when I went in for a wheel alignment. So I got that covered.

So the consensus is:

Check tires for balance (done)
Check tires for out of round (done)
Check rotors for warping
Check shocks
Check for wheel alignment (done)

Quick Reply: 1994 Z28 rear wheel noise/ suspension