02 Camaro, slew of problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 09:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

As far as I know, the exhaust sounds fine. I've been wondering if it's a clogged cat, bad tps, or something of that nature.

Edit: No one I know owns a Camaro like mine, so I've never heard another one start up... except for ones with straight pipes and aftermarket exhausts.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:21 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I doubt most parts guys know much more then getting the codes. That is all you are going to get.

All we can do is guess, There is no way to describe the feel of a spark issue or a Air/fuel issue or if the issue is coming from a single cylinder or not. This could be a fail coil or ICM. You could have just about any sensor going bad and that knocked out the O2s, course a bad injector or fuel regulator could be doing it. It could be problem in a harness. Just a FYI if your RPMs are varying and they drop any more then 100 RPMs below recommend idle it is normal to see a rapid voltage drop. If is most likely a result of the problem not the cause.

To fix these problems without throwing parts at it you need a good mechanic who has the right tools. Everything else is going to be guessing.

Based on your description it could be one of 100 things. High beam issue is separate. and most like needs the column torn down to fix.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
I doubt most parts guys know much more then getting the codes. That is all you are going to get.

All we can do is guess, There is no way to describe the feel of a spark issue or a Air/fuel issue or if the issue is coming from a single cylinder or not. This could be a fail coil or ICM. You could have just about any sensor going bad and that knocked out the O2s, course a bad injector or fuel regulator could be doing it. It could be problem in a harness. Just a FYI if your RPMs are varying and they drop any more then 100 RPMs below recommend idle it is normal to see a rapid voltage drop. If is most likely a result of the problem not the cause.

To fix these problems without throwing parts at it you need a good mechanic who has the right tools. Everything else is going to be guessing.

Based on your description it could be one of 100 things. High beam issue is separate. and most like needs the column torn down to fix.
Thank you for the info. I was hoping someone may have an idea of what it could be since I'm not throwing any more codes than the P0452; Can ICM and o2 sensors go out without throwing their codes? I don't wanna have to throw parts at it (I'm fresh out of high school and already struggling to pay the few bills I have) and the only local mechanic that hasn't received terrible consumer reviews around here charges $33 just to plug up his scan tool. All the chains around here like Pep Boys, Firestone, etc are crap.

I'm riding it out for as long as I can, but I obviously need to get it fixed before it gets significantly worse. It's already gotten to where it happens about 3x as frequently as it did at first.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I would recommend finding a honest mechanic to look it over and tell you what needs to be replaced then fix it yourself if possible. On the rare occasion I have to have an issue diagnosed by my mechanic the $60 is worth saving the time and stress.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Alright, thanks. I'll try to get it looked at as soon as I can. I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks!

Old 06-12-2015, 07:58 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i zip tied my column to keep the bright switch working. are you missing the cover?

Old 06-13-2015, 10:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
i zip tied my column to keep the bright switch working. are you missing the cover?
Not missing the cover, but one of the clips is broken so it comes out easy. Could you get a picture of how you zip tied it?

Old 06-13-2015, 01:55 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i put it as close to the dash/gauges as i could and keep it on the column cover, not sure about 98-02. did pick up a new cover so dont have tie on it anymore. you can also adjust the shaft that goes down the column. some column info here. https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...mn-info-64804/

Old 06-17-2015, 09:37 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm thinking the rough idling could be the IAC valve. Are those prone to going out now and again? The car did sit a long time before I got it.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:10 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

test fuel pressure and change fuel filter, have a look at the gas, dump filter contents into a clear container from the tank side. might be a good idea to have the injectors cleaned and flow tested at a injector shop.