82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

will a LS1 (the 4th gen motor correct?) fit in a 3rd gen z28

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:11 PM

do u know how much they cost? and i was thinkin if imma do a swap i mines well go at least LS2 (if i got enuf money haha)

Old 01-24-2011, 06:42 PM

well im located in cali, and i jus started lookin for an engine, an LS2 would be nice, but now that u mentioned all thoes prices i thik imma settle for an LS1 haha, but i know ther is some pick and pull places that i can get a motor from ill call and check, but it sounds like tou know ur stuff do you personally think that this swap is worth the time and money? like i said i have a v6 right now and i really want some speed and sound of the v8. just a guess do you think this whole project will be over or under 5000?

Old 01-24-2011, 10:25 PM

yea i know a few mechanics who can put the engine in, but i need a deal on the engine its self, do you think its safe to buy one off the camaro fourms online or the vette forums, oo that does sound like a clean car, there a lil nissan out here with a LS1 swap, it sounds good, but dont sound right in a import

Old 01-25-2011, 06:52 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by username510

you wrote:

yea i know a few mechanics who can put the engine in, but i need a deal on the engine its self,

you also wrote:

i thik imma settle for an LS1 haha,

but i know ther is some pick and pull places that i can get a motor from ill call and check,

do you personally think that this swap is worth the time and money? like i said i have a v6 right now and i really want some speed and sound of the v8.

just a guess do you think this whole project will be over or under 5000?

first, search this forum as well as other camaro and 3rd gen forums and look at how many threads there are on the topic and then how many actually end up putting in an LT1 or LS1

The question about "do you think it's worth it" is entirely up to you. You did not mention the year vehicle that you will be getting. You only said it's a Z28. What's wrong with the existing engine that it can't just be rebuilt?

And please do not be so cavalier about "knowing a few mechanics who can put it in"

swapping to an LS1 is not like yanking a first gen small block and replacing with another 3rd gen small block. It's not like replacing your spark plugs. The actual time it takes to remove and reinstall the engine itself is nothing compared to the time to remove, identify the connectors, remove accessories and get all the old frozen on bolts undone in preparation for the removal. It sounds like all of that will be done by someone other than you. Then, you add in changing the harness, ECM and gauges to support the LS1.

Seriously, by the sounds of this thread, which is similar to most of the others on the same topic, if you have $5k, go buy a V8 camaro and be done with it.

You will be surprised at just how LITTLE $5,000 is when you undertake such a project; especially if you want the engine and tranny to be reliable and need a mechanic to do the work.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:42 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
You will be surprised at just how LITTLE $5,000 is when you undertake such a project; especially if you want the engine and tranny to be reliable and need a mechanic to do the work.
^^^this. I think I already have $3500 in my Camaro, and I haven't even touched the engine yet.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Already about 1K into mine just doing maintainence/catching up on neglect (Tires, Rotors, that sorta stuff) Adds up fast especially if you are like me and want good parts that will last and perform well.

Don't want to discourage you from your project but I am trying to point out that when re-engineering a car 5K is a drop in the bucket...especially if you are not a HIGHLY experienced mechanic who can do alot of the work themselves.

Last edited by rmoncur; 01-25-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:55 PM

yea i think imma just stick to buyin a z28 nd not swappin it, i talked to a few of my friends and they started this same project and have not finished it. but thak you for the advice and saving me someoney and time.
how did you get a LS1 Z28 for that cheap?!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by username510
yea i think imma just stick to buyin a z28 nd not swappin it, i talked to a few of my friends and they started this same project and have not finished it. but thak you for the advice and saving me someoney and time.
how did you get a LS1 Z28 for that cheap?!

It took me almost 6months of shopping classifieds and dealerships but I found mine for about 6K 2000 Z28 139K on everything but the motor which had about 5K on it thanks to the Chevy dealer not putting the drain plug back in after an oil change. Almost bone stock driven by older people its whole life. They are out there but you will have to shop for awhile depending on what part of the planet you live on.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:10 PM

5g's is not my limit i was just trying to get an about price

Old 01-25-2011, 05:14 PM

yea i been lookin on craigslist, but all them on there are realllyyy bad, i got mine cheap because a close friend was a good mechanic and had good deal but he passed, he got me a 2001 maro stick lowerd, rims, tint 20K miles on the engine for 2000$, but it was a v6 =/! i dont no how but he always got good deals, but im debating if i should just keep this car and put money in to looks or sell and go for speed

Quick Reply: will a LS1 (the 4th gen motor correct?) fit in a 3rd gen z28