82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

want to replace cat with straight pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Default want to replace cat with straight pipe

i have a hooker 3 inch cat back exhaust system, and i wanted to take out my cat... then i saw that i have an o2 sensor welded into it... what will happen if i get rid of it?

Old 06-08-2009, 03:10 PM
3rd Gear Member

You are going to get a code is what will happen. Why would you do that in the first place? You can get a high flow one that will not lose as much as you think. If you sell it, or move to an area with emissions....and they are probobly coming to an area near you anyway, it'll be a pain in the *** to re-install after a straight pipe is welded in. Plus, I think the air injection system ties into that, so you would have to cap that off correctly or it'll sound like crap.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:36 AM
4th Gear Member

Unless you DIY, no Muffer Shop is going to remove the Cat and weld in a pipe for you. It is illegal for them to do it.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't have emmission's where I'm at... people do it all the time or you can just tell them it is for an off-road set up

Old 06-09-2009, 07:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by draggo144
I don't have emmission's where I'm at... people do it all the time or you can just tell them it is for an off-road set up

I cannot do anything but agree with you. Muffler shops here in NC and TN have welded many systems for me. I have killed many cats. Florida is just one of those states that suck..

Old 06-10-2009, 07:35 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by draggo144

I'm in no way a supporter of the way they do emissions (or emissions checking period) particularly on newer vehicles, and I believe a properly tuned car isn't that bad, but like I've said before, why? Is yours completely clogged? Or are you doing it because you think that now that you've cut it our you're going to have a badass car? Cut me a break leave it alone. There is nothing you can remove or bolt on to these cars to make a 3rd gen feel like a drag car.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Exclamation

Originally Posted by djs383
I'm in no way a supporter of the way they do emissions (or emissions checking period) particularly on newer vehicles, and I believe a properly tuned car isn't that bad, but like I've said before, why? Is yours completely clogged? Or are you doing it because you think that now that you've cut it our you're going to have a badass car? Cut me a break leave it alone. There is nothing you can remove or bolt on to these cars to make a 3rd gen feel like a drag car.

I beg to differ friend. Bolt on's your right. you can't. Straight piping there again. no. Money, yes. New heads, new intake, carb or fuel runners, headers, y-pipe, flowmaster, aftermarket cam and crank with kits, higher rear gear ratios. All yes. You can even use the same factory 350 block. No money, no horses. The stock IROC's are fun enough to just play around with. 11's and 12's on the 8th. It's a prefrence. So many things can be accomplished.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:24 PM
2nd Gear member

i agree with sammy you can get a 3rd gen to get up and move if you want their are 10 second third gens out their and im sure their are ones that are even faster i would go with a high flow cat though just in case you do sell it though or move into a place with emissions

Old 06-11-2009, 07:32 AM
4th Gear Member

I agree, after being enlighten by some Posters. The removal of the Cat will with other little mods can result in a faster street car.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:49 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sammycamrestorer
I beg to differ friend. Bolt on's your right. you can't. Straight piping there again. no. Money, yes. New heads, new intake, carb or fuel runners, headers, y-pipe, flowmaster, aftermarket cam and crank with kits, higher rear gear ratios. All yes. You can even use the same factory 350 block. No money, no horses. The stock IROC's are fun enough to just play around with. 11's and 12's on the 8th. It's a prefrence. So many things can be accomplished.
For sure sure the abovementioned mods would work, but I wasn't referencing changing parts out that result in better intake tract, higher compression, legit cam etc. I was referencing the common theme with a lot of guys in that the belief of taking off the cat, or putting on a K&N will awake an 8 second car.

Quick Reply: want to replace cat with straight pipe