82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

V6 to LSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011 | 07:32 PM
|
Default V6 to LSX

Ive got a 1991 rs and im thinking about putting in an lsx but im in afghanistan and i dont have the time to see about the other things like...will it bolt right in or will i need a new trans or if the driveshafts will be able to handle it...please help

Old 02-24-2011 | 08:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ls motor has different mounts and trans bolt pattern. your best path would be a 350 or lt1. i would go with a 350 mostly because of easy fit and availability of motors and parts.

Old 02-25-2011 | 10:21 AM
1st Gear Member

FYI - it CAN be done, but like I mentioned in the other post, it isn't necessarily cheap.

Old 04-12-2011 | 04:35 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

No it will not bolt in at all. I would get with a good shop if you have the money and have them do it like RPM. I say this because if you have never done a swap before this is not the one to learn on. Lots of wiring.

You will need basically the hole front clip of a LS1 car (ECU, engine, wiring harness, transmission) Your looking at about 3000-4000 depending on what it comes out of. I would probably try to pick up a LS6 or go ahead and do a cam/head swap on the LS1 while its out. Its a good way to gain about 80 horses and should not cost that much while the motor is out.

Any way back on topic. Once you get the front clip you are going too need a conversion kit (mounts, headers that fit, misc brackets, etc) depending on what comes in the kit they range from about 700 bucks to about 2000) You pay for what you get in this case. Your also going to need a drive shaft to run from the T56 or 4L60 so thats 300-400 and probably a few other things. Your stock 10 bolt will not live very long so you should also expect some big cost there. Also a good clutch or converter is going to be a must.

Its not cheap. If you do every thing your self, get all good deals, and maybe have a few hook ups i would expect to spend 6-7K on a good swap. If you are paying some one to do it then double that.

Old 04-12-2011 | 05:37 PM

It can be done. No swap from a v6 to v8 is easy. Since you have to replace all the wiring/mounts, and usually the transmission along with it.
-
The 700r4 for the V6 was NOT the same as the 700r4 with the V8s. The mounting bolt patterns were different

Old 04-12-2011 | 07:22 PM
March 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Technical User

many of the items here will cover the swap. LSx LS1 Engine Motor Swap Parts | 1982-1992 F-Body Camaro & Firebird most listed there you dont need. really just the mounts, exhaust, maybe the trans crossmember, and probably a torque arm. im not sure if the ls will have the same bolt pattern as a regular sbc, but the v6 trans wont work. then all you need is the ls, trans, fuel pump, computer, wiring harness, and a lot of time and you can do it

Old 04-13-2011 | 03:59 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

It does not have the same bolt pattern. Any way you look at it 6K minimal if you do the work yourself. The nickle and dime things are going to get you the most.

Old 05-11-2011 | 05:44 PM

Hey guys! I have a similar question. I’m taking my old lt1 out and replacing it with a 350 replica from summit and converting to carburetor. Any ideas will help so much, as this one big headache, but it will be worth it! I’m guessing I’ll need a new distributor and all other components and heads because the lt1 has reversed cooling. The reason I’m removing the LT1 is because the machine work is double the price opposed to the 350 bored out, line bored and chucked, from summit. I want to carb it because it looks much cleaner than seeing all the wires. I am worried about tuning the carburetor; i have no idea about the technology of the past. I suppose it be easier but hey I’m new to it. Thanks for your time!
My set up is 383, -16cc pistons h beams, spraying a 200 shot. Not right away will I be spraying that much, i need to negate all the weak links in the car. Possible procharger in like 2 years.

Old 05-11-2011 | 06:30 PM
March 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Technical User

what car are you running? if its a 4th gen, youre in the wrong section. but if it is, i can tell you that a distributor wont fit under the dash and a carb wont fit under the cowl and hood