82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

TPI Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Default TPI Questions

I have a slick setup that is TPI on my 383 stroker. I pulled the TPI setup from an 86 Camaro stock and bolted it on knowing I need to do some upgrades. For starters, I know #19 injectors are never going to cut it. Secondly, I know the computer chip needs to be modified/reprogrammed to handle the motor build. Question I have is, where do I start in looking into reprogramming OBD1?

It seems silly to have to ask since I outright purchased and bolted it on, but to make a long story short, my father was the electronics guru and he is no longer around. So now I am stuck trying to learn how to do what he already knew how to do. Any help would be appreciated as I need to get this figured out since it is leading to a fuel starvation issue and an overheating issue from having to compensate with timing. The motor is not currently in a vehicle anymore as I scrapped the 81 project in lieu of my father's 69 project which was left to me.

The motor specs are forged throughout, flat top pistons at .30 bore. 400 crank in 350 block. Block was machined, ported, polished, and balanced. I have to find the Cam specs, but the heads are dart II Iron Eagle 64cc chamber. I am currently using stock TPI setup - stock throttle body, MAF, etc. Currently has 6A MSD, but I was thinking I might have to change that as well. Upgraded springs, lifters, and rocker/rollers. Motor is sound at 450-525 hps from the shop. Just need to solve this fuel delivery system setup to get it running perfectly.

Thanks

Old 02-26-2012, 06:58 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

36# injectors would be a good starting point. you can get a custom chip made by PCMforless you will also need a high output fuel pump, 255lph. you will need the knock sensor and o2 sensor. you can have the evap and egr deleted from the computer to eliminate issues. i would also suggest getting a twin 58mm and porting the plenum to match the throttle body. with all those mods, you will start starving for air around 4500 rpm as the tpi intake is designed for low end torque, but can modified to flow more air if needed.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:38 AM
Tech Droid

If you going to use a stock TPI on a 383, you will be limiting the potential of a 383. The TPI runners were sized for low end torque on a 350 engine. You 383 will have plenty of low end torque but needs more air at the top end than the stock TPI can provide. You could make things a better by going to larger runners, or better still by replacing the base plate and the runners.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by microkid
36# injectors would be a good starting point. you can get a custom chip made by PCMforless you will also need a high output fuel pump, 255lph. you will need the knock sensor and o2 sensor. you can have the evap and egr deleted from the computer to eliminate issues. i would also suggest getting a twin 58mm and porting the plenum to match the throttle body. with all those mods, you will start starving for air around 4500 rpm as the tpi intake is designed for low end torque, but can modified to flow more air if needed.
I take it that when the chip is redone, it won't call for the readings from the EGR and EVap right?

I usually don't push the motor beyond 4200 RPM, but I see what you are saying. I already have the knock and o2 sensor installed and set. What about the airflow sensor? Necessary or not? What else can I cut from the wiring to make it less of a spider web system of garbage?

Thanks

Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by z28pete
If you going to use a stock TPI on a 383, you will be limiting the potential of a 383. The TPI runners were sized for low end torque on a 350 engine. You 383 will have plenty of low end torque but needs more air at the top end than the stock TPI can provide. You could make things a better by going to larger runners, or better still by replacing the base plate and the runners.
Ahhh yes, I was thinking about this a lot. I just didn't know which would be better if not both. Thanks for the advice! I will look into it more!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:22 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

you will need the maf. egr and evap are the only two things you dont need. there are other options. you can get larger runner and baseplate, which is info you will need to include when you order the chip. i am looking at getting a weiand short ram intake, which is similar to the lt1, and will support power up to 6k. my engine made those numbers on the dyno with a carb and dual plane intake. i can feel though even with the work i made to my intake, its out of power of 4500