82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Starter will not engage!! need help

Old 09-09-2012, 05:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Starter will not engage!! need help

I have a 86 berlinetta with a new 383 stroker motor I am trying to break in. Throughout the setup of timing the engine and even the first start the starter would engage and crank the motor fine, then when I was running the cam break in stage I got a trans oil leak by the radiator so I cut off the car and fixed it Now it will not crank. The starter will not turn on or engage. But i noticed a wire was smoking that was connected to the starter it had grounded to the block I fixed it and it has power. Still when i turn the key nothing happens? THis is a brand new starter btw

Old 09-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

sounds like the starter overheated. give it some time to cool down and see if it will spin, if so you need a heat shield.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

This happened last night and it still will not work. I think a wire is grounded somewhere because when i turn the key to crank it all the electronics shut off including the fuel pump it doesn make sense all of the wires are getting good power but i dont know about the ignition wire on the small post for the starter?

Old 09-09-2012, 07:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check for ignition fuse. test start wire to the solenoid to see if its getting power when the key is turned to the start position. if it is i would suspect the solenoid is fried.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
check for ignition fuse. test start wire to the solenoid to see if its getting power when the key is turned to the start position. if it is i would suspect the solenoid is fried.
I saw alot of people had problems with the nss switch so i unplugged it an ran a jumper wire between them and it and tunred the key and it engaged and is working!. But the engine will not start? I think i need another shim on the starter would that be part of it?

Old 09-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by BlackBerlinetta
tunred the key and it engaged and is working!. But the engine will not start? I think i need another shim on the starter would that be part of it?
By "working" does that include turning the engine over?

Old 09-09-2012, 11:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yes the engine is turning over but it will not fire up. Yesterday was my first time running the new engine and we had a hard time getting it to start but we swapped batteries and put a shim on the starter and it would fire right up. Today I put i a brand new battery and all it will do is turn over. Could it be the timing?

Old 09-09-2012, 11:14 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

now test for spark at the plugs when its turning over. im thinking you burned something in the ignition up like ignition switch, maybe a relay or blew a fuse.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It was running before. Unless you swung the timing, I don't see it's that. Do you have a test meter or light? Turn the key to the run position, and check the + terminal on the coil for power. Your smoking wire may have caused a no power to the ignition problem.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Where is the coil at? On top of the distributer?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter will not engage!! need help