82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

So Im getting an RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Default So Im getting an RS

Good friend of mine is giving me his 92 RS... it's a 305 (not sure which one) manual tranny...
I know it does not run...He says it just needs a battery and a fan sensor? I might just flip it but who knows, he just dosent have time to fix it but knowing him it's probably a simple fix =) He is towing it to my house this weekend...pics to come, I will need some advice as I have only worked with imports thus far !!! I don't know what im getting myself into just what I need another project sitting in the driveway! If it's in reasonable shape I wanna make a monster of it.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Default RE: So Im getting an RS

So what should I look for on this car...besides the typical wear and tear any 92 vehicle will have...any specific problems to look out for?? HELP!

Old 05-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Fancy Sparkle

if you want a monster, scrap the 305. drop a 350 or larger in there and start building away.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:33 PM

That was kinda the plan, want to rip it all apart though and start from the ground up...lots of power is useless without traction.I work at a body shop so hopefully I can just bring it down here and leave it here for a minute to get the body worked out and re-painted...don't know if I will stick with the original color (teal yuck) or do it white like the rest of my cars...if I even decide to keep it...just wondering if there was anything particularon this vehicle to watch out for before I decide to dive into it!

Old 05-30-2008, 12:38 PM
March 2008 ROTM

nothin in particular. heater cores are known to go out in these cars at this age. thats really about the only problem that they all have. umm... if its t-tops watch for rust in the passenger area floorboards from the tops leaking. Other than that, it will be typical age related problems.

also, if it will be a TBI ( throttle body injection) if its a 305 unless its been changed. a VERY poor place to make power. if nothing else go carb. You can get a TPI ( tuned port injection) system off ebay. prices vary as does condition.

Ive seen these cars be rediculous, and ive seen them be... not so neat we shall say. It is what you make it!! good luck. keep us updated on the progress and come on back when ya need help

Old 05-30-2008, 02:16 PM

also any info about getting a crate motor would be awesome ie. where to get it, what fits etc etc.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:39 PM
March 2008 ROTM

with your setup ( tbi 305) any SBC will bolt up other than an LS series engine, they have different motor mounts.

Jeggs, summit, local auto store, whatever you wish as far as getting one. Just be sure its a quality build. Pay the extra and get one made well instead of cheaping out here and getting junk. Again.. this is one of those situations where you get what you pay for.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:32 PM

as is probably true with most car parts you get what you pay for....unless you know the right people =) very cool thank you for the info...I was actually thinking about that big ****er chevy just came out with?? newer motor I saw it at the Pomona Winternationals on display and they started it up, damn! Does it have to be a small block? what are the pro's and cons small block vs. big? sorry l;ots of questions...as I said I have been an import girl thus far...this is all fairly new to me

Old 05-30-2008, 06:35 PM
March 2008 ROTM

im guessin your talkin about the 572. AWESOME motor. but its expensive. The small block is just an easier swap and fits nicely. you can squeeze a big block in. but everything about that is TIGHT. and its almost a 100% custom job. GM's ls2 or even the ls3 would be a nice swap, but they are pretty proud of those as well if you know what i mean.

pros and cons depends on your personality. Just a regular built big block over a regular small block. i would take the small block myself. There is a lot more potential from a BB ( big block) over the SB ( small block) though. A well built 454 BB is easy to make 500+ horse out of. Takes a lot of effort to get those kinda numbers out of a SB. Youve also gotta consider the extra weight of the BB over the SB. cost of parts, yada yada. The SB is a much cheaper engine but isnt capable of makin BIG BIG power but plenty enough for these cars without EXTENSIVE chassis work. If i had the time, money, and knowledge to go a BB swap into mine, i probably would.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Fancy Sparkle

ORIGINAL: 350rs

im guessin your talkin about the 572. AWESOME motor. but its expensive. The small block is just an easier swap and fits nicely. you can squeeze a big block in. but everything about that is TIGHT. and its almost a 100% custom job. GM's ls2 or even the ls3 would be a nice swap, but they are pretty proud of those as well if you know what i mean.

pros and cons depends on your personality. Just a regular built big block over a regular small block. i would take the small block myself. There is a lot more potential from a BB ( big block) over the SB ( small block) though. A well built 454 BB is easy to make 500+ horse out of. Takes a lot of effort to get those kinda numbers out of a SB. Youve also gotta consider the extra weight of the BB over the SB. cost of parts, yada yada. The SB is a much cheaper engine but isnt capable of makin BIG BIG power but plenty enough for these cars without EXTENSIVE chassis work. If i had the time, money, and knowledge to go a BB swap into mine, i probably would.
if you want a good cheap BB, GM Performance 454 HO. 425hp at the crank, 500ft/lbs of torque. a mild cam will get you over 500hp easily.

but 350 hit it all dead on the head