82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Question on a 91 305

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Default Question on a 91 305

Okay so I just bought a 91 RS Camaro with a 305 in it. When i bought it I drove it all the way home and it was about a hour drive around 75 miles and it did fine. But whenever I was at a stop it would idle really low about 200-400 RPM but it didnt stall but it felt like it would everytime. After I got it home i didnt really mess with it for a while.

But now im wondering what it wrong with the car. Here are some more symptoms that its giving that might help you guys help me.

The check engine light always flashes while the car is on and the light next to it flashes also I cant remeber what it is

The car wont start unless you are pumping the gas while you try to start it

It Idles less than 500 and will stall after a little bit if you dont rev it up

It also hesitates a little bit when giving it gas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Tech Droid

The flashing check engine light is an indication of misfire. Try some new spark plugs and wires before going further. Get the car scanned as there may be other problems lurking there. Your car is fuel injected, so pumping the gas pedal does nothing except to confuse the computer, and make starting worse. The IAC valve may be bad and cause the idling problems, but if there are ignition problems they would have to be fixed first.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:17 AM
4th Gear Member

do you own a paper clip?

take paper clip, go to the car, bring along your keys and a piece of paper and pencil

take paper clip and insert one end into the top right connector of the ALDS port and the other end into the hole on its left. If you don't know, the ALDL port is near where your right knee would be when driving.

Turn the key to run, not start, but to run

the CEL will flash once and then twice. it will do that 3 times. Then, if there is a stored error code, it will flash that code 3 times for example, blink 4 times, then 2 times which would be code 42, and it will do that 3 times. If there is another code, it will then flash for that. If there are no more codes, it will revert back to once, and then twice blinking. turn off key, remove your diagnostic tool aka paper clip

write down the codes that you get and using the search feature on any of the camaro forums or even yahoo or google and you will find your answers

cheers

Old 09-19-2011, 12:07 PM

update

Okay so now my car will not stay running.

I did the test with the paper clip and that didnt not help because the only code it gave said that the computer in the car does not work

But my car is running really rich. There is one vacuum leak.

When the car starts now it just comes on, idles and like 250, I can not rev the car at all it will do nothing and then a few seconds later the car stalls.

Some body suggested the throttle body sensor? I just dont wanna start replacing every part and that not fix it.

Thanks for all your help

Old 09-19-2011, 12:12 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cesko81
update

Okay so now my car will not stay running.

I did the test with the paper clip and that didnt not help because the only code it gave said that the computer in the car does not work

But my car is running really rich. There is one vacuum leak.

When the car starts now it just comes on, idles and like 250, I can not rev the car at all it will do nothing and then a few seconds later the car stalls.

Some body suggested the throttle body sensor? I just dont wanna start replacing every part and that not fix it.

Thanks for all your help
"I did the test with the paper clip and that didnt not help because the only code it gave said that the computer in the car does not work"

please elaborate on that

Old 09-19-2011, 09:21 PM

alright so i let the first code blink three times then the next code was that it blinked five times then paused and blinked once more

Old 09-19-2011, 09:22 PM

And to z28pete its not the same flashing as you think.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
"I did the test with the paper clip and that didnt not help because the only code it gave said that the computer in the car does not work"

please elaborate on that
I believe he's referring to code 12, "no distributor/ignition pulse". That code is always there, and the one you ignore as a problem, because the engine isn't running. It's also a "marker", flashing before and after any other codes that may be present.
Take the air cleaner lid off and then try to run the engine, to see if you have an air restriction problem. A tune up (plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor) wouldn't hurt the engine any, especially if it hasn't had one in ages. Could also be your TBI in need of a rebuild. I'd also guess a clogged fuel filter, but that would make the engine run worse at higher rpm's where there's a greater demand for fuel.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:29 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I believe he's referring to code 12, "no distributor/ignition pulse". That code is always there, and the one you ignore as a problem, because the engine isn't running. It's also a "marker", flashing before and after any other codes that may be present.
Take the air cleaner lid off and then try to run the engine, to see if you have an air restriction problem. A tune up (plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor) wouldn't hurt the engine any, especially if it hasn't had one in ages. Could also be your TBI in need of a rebuild. I'd also guess a clogged fuel filter, but that would make the engine run worse at higher rpm's where there's a greater demand for fuel.
I wasn't assuming that because I spelled out the 12 code in my instructions to him

we can only speculate and must await more details

now I have one for you 69

no matter which vehicle I drive there seems to be a loose nut in between the steering wheel and seat; any suggestions

Old 09-26-2011, 01:42 PM

okay so basicly all i need to know now is why my car is running rich any ideas?

Quick Reply: Question on a 91 305