82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Please HELP! Car sputters under load!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Default Please HELP! Car sputters under load!

hey guys. im back. some of you may remember what happend on my last post with not being able to get the injectors to fire. i found out what had happend was that my ignition modual fried again which explains why i was able to change it and get to work and why it was fried by the time work was done.

So i got the car running. I was driving around town one day and my car just stalled and shut down. after testing we found out my injectors werent firing. we changed the alternator, ignition modual, pick up coil, distributor cap and rotar and finally the distributer itself and it finally started running again. now her in lays the problem. it runs but it runs really rough AT TIMES. sometimes it drives like it did before it stalled out one me the first time and when it ran like a champ. and the other day i drove it and it couldnt help but bogg out and stall. i have also noticed it goes hand in hand with my check engine light flickering. sometimes it will flicker uncontrolably and other times it will either stay on or stay off. i know i was throwing a code for not having the stock air intake system and there is a plug that is left unattended.

i have come to the point where im just about ready to sell it and cut my losses but i really dont want to because its is my first car and im still a college student who plans on doing a complete overhall when i get to my 30s (i just turned 20). so if anyone has any insite please help me out. like i said i really dont want to get rid of the camaro but at the same time school comes first and formst.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

thanks guys.
Justin

Last edited by 92RS FTW; 03-28-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:54 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

what happened to the stock intake? that connector could be the mass air flow sensor and is absolutely needed for the engine to run as there is no redundant sensor. the ecm simply falls back to limp mode and it will run like crap. refresh me on the car, engine, and year. there may be another issue, but sounds to me like youre missing a critical sensor

Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 PM

The car is a 1992 Chevy Camaro with a 305 in in TBI. now heres the problem. its got a carb air filter on it. thats just how i bought it. unfortuantly im the 8th owner

Old 03-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Nothing wrong with using a carb air cleaner as long as you keep the air sensor in the base (the round probe one). Yours may be missing.
Here's what I did when I had a 91: https://camaroforums.com/forum/3rd-g...305-tbi-28278/

Last edited by Camaro 69; 03-29-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:44 AM

yeah i deffinetly dont have that sensor. in retrospect i do remember a sort of like cut out area where i think that you have yours Camaro 69. i noticed something else yesterday after trying to install new headlights. we had to keep my car "on" to keep the lights on. now the key was in the on position but the engine wasnt running. as i was fiddeling with my melted headlight connectors i herd a clicking sound. that sound sounded familiur. upon furtheer investigation i did know what it was. my injectors were firing! not vary much and not consistant to say the least. maybe this could be the problem? none the less it is a problem that needs to get fixed but could this be the reason as to why my car is acting funny? i talked to my brother and i asked him if swapping to a 350 would remidy the problem. he thought that swapping the engine would not help the problem. he said that he thinks its an electrical short.

sorry fire drill. will post more later!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If your TBI has never been rebuilt, now would probably be a good time to do it. And they're easier to work on and less complex than a carb. You could have a passage or fuel injector pod that's clogged. With the engine running, you can point a timing light at the base of the pods to see if you're getting a good fuel spray pattern, or if they're acting erratic. But you still want to get that intake sensor back on there, the pigtail/plug for it is probably still flopping around under the air cleaner base.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:11 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

with the key on, its normal for them to fire for a second or two, but not continually firing. sounds like theres some issues buried in the harness

Old 04-02-2011, 09:02 AM

okay so i got the air temp sensor and installed it. car ran great for about 3 miles then i stared having the problem again. i think that microkid is right as there vary well may be something wrong with the harness. reason i came to this conclusion is that i changed my ECM when i was trying to solve my last peoblem as it pertained to the car cranking but not getting any fire from the injectors. could this be a faulty ECM? or do you think that the problem is hiding eslewhere? reason i thought the ECM is because the injection modual that sits on my distributor tells my ECM when to send a singnel to my injectors to fire. and i know that the injection modual is good. what do you guys think?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:35 AM
In the Staging Lanes

you say you have a carb and air cleaner then you say you have tbi theres a big differance.a carb has no injectors.a tbi has two and they shouldnt fire till engine is turning over same as spark

Old 04-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by GLENN M
you say you have a carb and air cleaner then you say you have tbi theres a big differance.a carb has no injectors.a tbi has two and they shouldnt fire till engine is turning over same as spark
No, he said he has a TBI with a carb air cleaner on it, like what I did with mine.

Quick Reply: Please HELP! Car sputters under load!