82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

overheating SB

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Default overheating SB

finished my v6 to v8 swap, i purchased the stock GM pulley bracket setup from 3rd gen camaros. my motor constantly overheats when it had a 305 (thought the water pump bad) and now the completly rebuilt 357 (everything is new) overheats to? i tried...
pulled thermostat, flushed the V8 raditator.. do these setups run reverse water pump???? anyone with advice or another idea... let me know...

Old 06-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Roy

Go purchase the June 09 issue of STREET RODDER. I just read it and there is a complete overview on all possible cooling system issues & solutions. You will find your answer with all their analysis. Just a few things from my experience: Ck/replace the air dam, make sure your fan is at least 1/2 of your fan blade depth into/under/inside of the fan shroud.
Good luck.

Roy

Old 06-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you are running the stock serpentine belt setup, then your water pump wants to be reverse flow. Is yours a reverse flow? If not, your pump isn't pumping.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:34 PM

Okay, i was told my pulley setup was reverse flow, ....so i got a heavy duty reverse flow pump, I picked up a brand new radiator.... Motor Overheats....(Mechanical gauge)

Then ,i got the iroc-z dual fan setup.... the motor still overheats upto 250 degrees, but will run 180range with the fans on. anymore Ideas?

Old 06-25-2009, 12:32 AM
2nd Gear member

bad radaitor. i had the same prob and changed every cooling part and found it the radiator.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:53 AM

its hard to believe a brand new radiator is defective, got it for $60 stillin box off a dude, . B.S. does anyone know if the standard pulley steup is reverse rotation,?

Old 06-25-2009, 01:13 PM
2nd Gear member

serpintine yes, vbelt no. make sure ur fans are mooving the right way. does it overheat in the city or freeway.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Default any ideas on mine?

My 92 RS has a factory V8 in it. And overheats like crazy. I just put in ALL brand new parts for the cooling system. I have replaced the radiator,water pump, all the hoses, serpentine belt, band new huge fan, thermostat, antifreeze, and cap. Anything to do with the cooling system is brand new. And it still will run right into the red. I have pressure tested the heads and the gaskets. No luck. It's also the only car I have ever seen get hotter the faster down the highway you go. Every Camaro person I talk to tells me they run hot, but I just dropped around $500 (parts store discount is good for employees...) into making it run cool. And I have run out of ideas. Anybody else have any ideas?

Old 06-29-2009, 12:46 PM
2nd Gear member

u dont have the plastic thingy under ur car do u?

Old 07-02-2009, 01:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by keokabear
My 92 RS has a factory V8 in it. And overheats like crazy. I just put in ALL brand new parts for the cooling system. I have replaced the radiator,water pump, all the hoses, serpentine belt, band new huge fan, thermostat, antifreeze, and cap. Anything to do with the cooling system is brand new. And it still will run right into the red. I have pressure tested the heads and the gaskets. No luck. It's also the only car I have ever seen get hotter the faster down the highway you go. Every Camaro person I talk to tells me they run hot, but I just dropped around $500 (parts store discount is good for employees...) into making it run cool. And I have run out of ideas. Anybody else have any ideas?

Do you still have the air deflector under your camaro? With out that your car will always be overheating

Quick Reply: overheating SB