82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

new issue/rearend

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 04:24 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by skidoodave
Your RPO code sticker is either located on the underside of the center console storage bin armrest or on the inside of the lid for the rear storage bin located on the rear left trim pannel. They are in alphabetical order. Look for G80 for a posi rear end. Pullingthe cover is for sure the best way, while your in there count the teeth on th ring gear and the pinion to confirm what gear ratio you have.

As for spinning on snow or ice, my wifes Jimmy, my Dodge pick up and my Camaro will spin both tires right away if you step on the fuel.
You don't have to count the gear teeth. The Gear & pinion numbers are stamped on the OD (outside diameter) of the ring gear by the Mfg. Example: 41 10 = 4:10 ratio

Old 02-19-2010, 04:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thank you skidoodave and black z28 that is the kind of info I was looking for I really appreciate your help.I will keep you posted.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well I pulled cover and the fluid was clean like new.Nothing looked even the slightest suspicious.gears looked good also.put back together and decided to test it in the garage.Now I have two nice black racing stripes on the floor.Turned out to be a non issue after all.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

u have a open rear end. if u have equal traction on both tires both will spin. if u get in trouble and one wheel is spinning u can put the ebrake on as u slowly increase the throttle u increase the pressure on the ebrake. it will forse both tires to get some power to them. ive used that in the snow many times to get unstuck, lots of yrs ago

Old 02-25-2010, 02:08 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

skidoodave, the rear in my blazer is a 7.5 inch (1995), but it is the same limited slip that was in my third gen (rpo g80). i have a picture. the only thing missing is the springs (it grenaded)

Old 02-25-2010, 08:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I deleated this post cause I Fd up....

Last edited by skidoodave; 02-25-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

OOPS...did some checking, I see that they used that PoS in the S10s too. Thought they were all auburn types in the small rear ends. They tend to break with hard acceleration. As one wheel is allowed to spin and there is about a hundred rpm dif between the wheels the spring winds up and fires the pin across to start locking the axles. Under hard loading, this can happen quickly and cause things to depart the case if you know what I mean. Also above 20 mph, the rear will not lock even if one wheel starts to spin.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Here is a pic of a GovLock rear end.

Attached Thumbnails new issue/rearend-dif.jpg  
Old 02-28-2010, 09:12 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

yea, that sounds about right. i have a valve body issue in my trans that causes a hard, late 1-2 shift. i took a turn and spun a bit on wet leaves, and right as it hit second it grabbed traction and BOOM. it really messed stuff up inside, but im happier with the replaced rear, the limited slip actually works on this one

Old 03-07-2010, 12:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default needs more traction

The rearend is not gonna work for me. The roads are dry and I took it out for a short spin.It spun both wheels sometimes and one wheel sometimes.It needs to have a real posi.It smoked the tire in third gear and that is not gonna get it done.There was a little salt dust on the road still so that didnt help it get traction either.Now I have to go wash the under side of the car real good.If anyone knows the best locker or posi unit that will go in the stock housing that would be great.I have to do something that motor is a waste in the car with this set up.

Quick Reply: new issue/rearend