82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Need help takes awhile to start my 88 RS 305

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Default Need help takes awhile to start my 88 RS 305

Im having problems with my 88 RS 305FI it starts up and runs but it take awhile to start i have to crank on it for about 30sec to 1min b4 it will start i have replaced the fuel pump and the fuel pressure switch not sure what it could be anyone have any suggestions

Old 03-16-2010, 07:24 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

will it fire right away if you use starting fluid? it could be an issue with an injector or the cold start injector if its equipped with one. my cold start injector was bad and i had issues starting below 40 degrees

Old 03-17-2010, 11:02 AM

It will start right away useing starting fluid i havnt had it long to know if it will start during the summer but i know during the winter it a you know what to start

Old 03-17-2010, 11:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I suggest getting a GM code reader, if applicbale. If there is some sort of problem that is stopping the engine from turning over, its very likely that the code reader will tell you what it is.

If this cannot be done, however, just start eliminating possible problems. I suppose the starter can be ruled out, though if you keep having to torture it in order to get the engine going, you'll certainly need to replace that soon.

Could it be as simple as distributor/plug connections?

I'd like to do what I can to help, if you could provide more info as well.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:43 AM

Thanks man i have replaced the distributor and the plugs the fuel pump and the pressure switch i do have a gm code reader that i will see if it tells me what it is today im not really driving it because of what its doing i thought it might hurt the starter like you said

Old 03-17-2010, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 19camaro88
Thanks man i have replaced the distributor and the plugs the fuel pump and the pressure switch i do have a gm code reader that i will see if it tells me what it is today im not really driving it because of what its doing i thought it might hurt the starter like you said
Good idea, man.

Another idea: my Camaro used to run hot (apparently most 3rd gens were notorious for this) and I have solved that problem, but I think that over the years of overheating, some electrical problems have reared their ugly heads. Every once in a while my car will throw a 'service engine soon' at me, and it will either not turn over, or the idle is incredibly rough and wants to die. I have since found its the Mass Airflow (MAF) Sensor. I suggest looking at the connections and actual sensors, if you can. Sometimes the computer can get strange readings, and it can't get the right air and fuel mixture to turn the motor over.

Hope that code reader works!

Old 03-18-2010, 09:54 AM

well i did the code test and it told me it was the mass air flow sensor like you said thanks alot man hopfully this will work

Old 03-18-2010, 10:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Well at least we have a direction to go in!

I don't know if you are going to go buy a new sensor- its an expensive little bugger. I suggest checking connections first. I hope that's all your problem is. I replaced my sensor, and I still get a rough start once every blue moon. Its a voltage problem from what I've deduced. :/

And remember, it may also be as simple as a dirty or clogged MAF sensor, not a broken one.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:55 PM

Thats a good idea man man i will check out when i get home and clean it out because it sat for bout a year be four i bought it thanks for the help bro i owe you one

Old 03-18-2010, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

No problem, man, glad I could help some. And you just take care of that little Camaro of yours, and we'll call it even!

Quick Reply: Need help takes awhile to start my 88 RS 305