82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

NEED HELP...92 350 help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Default NEED HELP...92 350 help

So here's the story..my old man has a 67 Corvette, sat in our garage since 1980 and final got it running about 4 years ago on a bet with my brother. Well in this build I had only 4 weeks to get it running. I took the heads from the 327 in to the shop, the guy said it was going to be like 600$ to get them redone. So I went to Craigslist. I found a 350 4 bolt fully built never been fired, from intake to pan. For 400$ and he delivered it. While building this I was buying parts from fiends for the motor. I bought and EdelCRAP carb (third owner) from a friend. Ran ok....Then a friend was like "I have the PERFECT carb... (750 Dbl pumper)...well that ran like my grandma running in a marathon....So I went back to the Edelcrap. In the process of this whole thing I have had to make a whole serpentine setup do to the Dampner/Serpentine setup.
NOW:
This year I bought
600 holley
new vortec edelbrock intake
msd wires
New Aluminum valcovers
So my whole thing is..
What direction does the water pump spin? I need to know this so I can do the correct routing.
WHERE can I get a good set of centerbolt wire looms?
PLEASE SOME ONE HELP..I will post pics to show what's all goin on.
THANK YOU

Old 05-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The rotation depends on which water pump you have, and how the serpentine is routed. A conventional pump like what's on mine, and what originally came on the Vette, rotates clockwise as you're looking straight at it. But if you have the pump pulley riding on the (smooth) back side of the serpentine belt, which is how it works with an idler pulley setup, then you need to use a serpentine style reverse rotation pump. From the outside, they both look the same, but the rotor vanes are angled in opposite directions. This engine is going into the Vette I presume? DO NOT get rid of the original engine, assuming it is the original numbers matching block.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

I would agree with Camaro69 on saving the block if it is a numbers matching motor...if not, then it really doesn't matter too much. Aside from that, I'm curious what your intention is with the car/motor. I'm not aware of too many L98 centerbolt 350s that were 4bolt. Also, careful consideration to intake, carb, etc. will make a huge difference in the performance of that motor. Sounds like you are staying the carb route, which is fine, but be careful your bolt-ons don't leave you with less than you started with.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

You have a new Vortec intake and I presume that you have vortec heads. Bolt patter is different on the center bolt heads 86-95 center bolt have six bolts per side and the 96-2000 vortec have four bolts per side. Need to know the haads you have. As for the belts you could always change the lower pulley and run the original pulleys and water pump set up.