82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Need drive train advice before I buy a 92' RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Default Need drive train advice before I buy a 92' RS

I'm about to buy a 1992 Camaro RS, the one issue i'm faced with it is it has 240,000 miles on the original motor, With this motor being so driven to death what problems could arise? roughly what is mileage before I start to have issues with this? because I will be using this as a daily driver

Old 09-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Tech Droid

With 240K on the clock, oil burning could be a problem, and that can cause a bunch of other problems. It would be a good idea to avoid beating on the car if you expect to get much more use out of it.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:27 PM

I'm not planning on driving it like a race car, I Love the third gen and I want to fix it up, my plan is to just drive it carefully until I can either replace the 305 with a less worn motor or just replace the worn out parts on it, Would I need to also look at replacing the Transmission with that many miles on it?

Old 09-07-2012, 05:58 AM
4th Gear Member

A daily driver with 240K on it.....Everything on that car is wore out. I would advise you to look for another car with lower mileage.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

To start with, if you paid more than a few hundred bucks for the car, you got hosed. At 240k miles, the car lived a good life. Unless a previous owner already replaced the engine, transmission, rearend, driveshaft, radiator, water pump, power steering pump, etc., this car is likely to nickle and dime you to death. "Nickles and dimes" translating to hundreds possibly thousands. Hate to be blunt, but the car is a ticking time bomb.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:28 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
To start with, if you paid more than a few hundred bucks for the car, you got hosed. At 240k miles, the car lived a good life. Unless a previous owner already replaced the engine, transmission, rearend, driveshaft, radiator, water pump, power steering pump, etc., this car is likely to nickle and dime you to death. "Nickles and dimes" translating to hundreds possibly thousands. Hate to be blunt, but the car is a ticking time bomb.

Parade, I'd like to introduce you to Camaro69 who also goes by the name "rain". Yes, he will rain upon your parade

Seriously, Cam69 gave sage advice. I'm seeing a trend again in this forum of people not wanting to be realistic. I understand the emotion of wanting a particular vehicle. I did it myself just a few years back when I was wet behind the ears....... (no wise guy comments please about how many years)

a vehicle with 240k miles (non rebuilt vehicle) is not a reliable daily driver.

I think my 4th gen has 170k on the odometer. The glass, carpet and headliner are still original.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:42 PM

I'm am aware that it will nickel and dime me, but the thing is, I have a truck for a back up daily driver. The car is only gonna cost me $1000 and it's been well taken care of, I drove it and still running strong, If any of the parts do go out, I have a very good friend who owns a shop with most of the parts I would need to get it back and running again, A new motor, rear end, ect, I just don't want to take the time to put them in right away after I buy the car when it's just gonna sit in that shop being worked on during the winter anyways

Old 09-08-2012, 09:00 AM
3rd Gear Member

It really does depend on the PO maintenance schedule. If it was one of mine you would have to put gas in it.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Any car with that kind of mileage on it has been well taken care of- otherwise it would have died long ago. My 305 died at 149,000 km (93k miles), although that was because my dad drove it 100 km with two year old oil in it.

I don't know where you are in the US, but after 5 minutes on ebayclassifieds.com, I found a few 3rd gens around the country in the $2-3000 range. If you buy this '92, I guarantee it's gonna cost you a lot more than that.

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS Coupe | Clarkston | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 22530274
1987 Chevrolet Camaro z28 | Baldwin Park | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 22907326
1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS Rebuilt 305 | Pittsburgh | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 23191720
1985 Z-28 Camaro | Las Vegas | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 22986471
1984 Chevy Camaro Z28 | Hendersonville | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 19500330

Here's one from around my area. You can see prices are a bit different up here :V 48k miles on this one.
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ402040202

My engine swap cost me $10,000. I'll grant you I could go back and do it again for half as much, but it cost me because I was trying to cut corners and save money. And now my car is put up in my dad's garage with blown head gaskets. So that didn't go very well.

A transmission isn't gonna be cheap either. I found one on eBay for $800, and then you're going to have to install it.

There's probably a couple dozen other parts that are going to need replacing in short order.

And you'd better hope that you don't get stuck somewhere when one of those decides it doesn't want to work anymore.

Sorry to be such a killjoy :V

Last edited by Saint Ebony; 09-08-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yes that is true, a car that's well cared for should live more miles than one that's been abused. However, there are many components on the car, transmission included, that have gone waaaaaaay beyond it's life expectancy, well cared for or not.
And yes, do be prepared in case you get stuck somewhere while out on the road. Of all the car's I've owned in my life, I don't ever recall a one breaking down while sitting in the garage!
Like our copier at work. The repair man says the best way to prevent a breakdown is by not pushing that green button!

Quick Reply: Need drive train advice before I buy a 92' RS