82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

My first Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 03:26 AM
gmt
Wink My first Camaro

I have a 92 Cam RS 25 Ann. I have seen a lot of post on various gaskets for the intake manifold, but it seems as though they have a problem maintaining them (gasket).

My Intake Manifold is leaking a bit on the front end, though the compression is pretty good and the car seems to be running okay but slight overheat. My question is why does this type of vehicle apparently have historical intake leaks and overheating problems.

I would like to put this vehicle together for my son and be able to pass on potential fixes to problems of which are directly related to a vehicle of this type. I will gladly take any advice as to how to repair just as well as a potential final fix.

Again, my concerns are repairing the intake leak and omitting overheating on my new toy. Keep in mind I want to enjoy it a bit before I complete it and mothball it for the kid. Thank in advance all!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:04 PM
4th Gear Member

which engine? Yes, SBC's have a history of issues with the intake manifold gasket but a little rtv and it takes care of that.

Since you are doing this for your child, then don't stop at the intake. Yank the heads and replace the head gaskets and bolts at the same time. The amount of extra effort needed is negligible (so to speak). With the heads off then at a bare minimum, new valve seals but with the heads off, why not bring them to a shop and have them do a 3 angle and put in new guides. If you don't want to do that, then at least lap the valves and put in new seals but I strongly encourage new guides

Old 10-21-2011, 08:45 PM

On the overheating issue. Check to see that the radiator baffles are in place. There should be one from the bottom of the rad to the grill, also one from the top of the radiator to the grill. You should not see the radiator standing in front of the grill. There are a lot of shade tree mechanics out there that tear stuff off, these baffles are in there for a purpose. Which is of course to direct airflow to the radiator, otherwise that air is going everwhere except where it belongs.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:16 AM
gmt

I gotta tell you all, I really appreciate you taking the time to share you knowledge and experience with me on this project. It has been a really good help thus far, and I am learning a bunch alone the way.

It appears the little woman is taken to the project. I have looked to see if there were yellow ones in color put out in that year. It appears that is the color of choice for the project at this time LOL!

Again thank you and I'll update you all as methods are tried and died etc...

Old 11-26-2011, 02:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

welcome,hope u can fix that intake leak,theres a product thats named the right stuff,if u use that u will never have that problem again there known to to leak in the front and the china wall

Old 11-26-2011, 02:43 PM
I Like to Party

Welcome to the forums! As torque suggested, while your under the hood, replace gaskets along the way, looking forward to helping out and glad to see a caring parent