82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Looking for versatile 3rd gen camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Default Looking for versatile 3rd gen camaro

Hello experts and such! New member here who is completely bent on this new extreme fascination I am finding myself to have with 3rd gen camaros. I will be making my first 3rd gen purchase and I want to make it a 'Street legal - day to day Slayer!" which would year would be most versatile in terms of I want a solid year 350 tpi and will be merciful to my lack of mechanic skill !

Old 04-12-2011, 10:35 AM

Pardon me I meant to add what YEAR of course z28 or iroc . And also is modification-friendly!

Old 04-12-2011, 11:31 AM
3rd Gear Member

Well, then if want an iroc with 350 TPI check the VIN codes, they will tell you what motor the car really had.)those years are 87-90. 91-92 Z28 (note this is an option motor, 87 had 305 4bbl 305 TPI also, 88-90 had 305 TPI). Find the one least with the least modification that still has all the emission equipment as you'll most likely have to pass emissions...either now or in the near future. Keep in mind even with the 350TPI they didn't make a whole lot of power. They were low compression with smog heads. If you seriously want to make good power, be prepared for a lot of work....and spending a lot of money. Yes, it can be done cheap, but if you want it to be reliable and last, you will need to spend money depending on how wild you want to go.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:36 PM

understood and thank you to add.

to raise a question for inquiry, are 305 4bbl and 305 tpi engines THAT MUCH less powerful than 350? and if i did go with a 305 would that be cheaper ? yet still open to a good increase in horsepower?

oh, and omit phrase "slayer" lol. i wont be racing or anything. its just i live in the city. alot of owners around here who do have these 3rd gen camaros tend to ignore the heart of the car (engine) and dress it up nice. meaning putting 22'-24' rims on it and throwing sub-woofers in the trunk. i want to show what it really means to OWN a camaro. ive seen to many be mis-treated by flashy owners.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:16 PM

305 4bbl are dirt slow
-
the 305tpi's were still dog slow but better. they were usually 190hp and 265tq. Compared to the 350tpi's 235hp/340tq. Overall the TPI system is flawed in the end, They have great low end torque, that honestly is fun as hell... But after 4,5k rpm it loses power greatly, You can still make them fast.. but there are so many other systems you can put in to make them much better. Holley Stealth Ram, Super-ram, Mini-Ram, T-Ram and others.
-
The 305 definitely can be modded good, but are complete wastes b/c of what you'll be paying to make it even match a stock 350. Get a 350 car and mod that.
--------------------------
I'm turning my 1988 Camaro IrocZ L98(350tpi) into a "road Warrior" if you would like to call it that. My build sheet will cost around 10grand when it is all set and done (so it will take a while to accumulate the parts and things needed) But when it's done i'll be putting like 400 at the rear wheels and running the 1/4mile in the 11s, which is respectably quick on the track and on the street.

So far I'm planning on a Holley Stealth Ram(polished), Afr 195 Heads, 30lb injectors, Comp Cam 276hr10 (or zz4/zz9), Custom Burnt Chip, 12 bolt 3.73, 2.5->3k Stall converter, TransGO shift kit, Spohn suspension, upgraded rotors and calipers, B&M Megashifter, Dyno Don Custom Headers & Y-pipe, Magnaflow Highflow cat, 3" Magnaflow Catback exhaust. Maybe down the line i'll bore it out to 383.

~ This is my list atm(doesn't include everything ofc) and as you prolly know there's always changes & Additions to these types of lists haha. Should put it in the mid to low 11s, Still would be daily driven as often as can excluding bad condition days and winter ofcourse. I ain't gonna be building no Garage queen.

Some where down the line i could even add a Turbo or S/C and make it run in the 9s. Or could simply add N2O to the set up w/o turbo or S/C and run in the 10s. However I don't like those 3 add ons very much and would definitely be FAR down the line.

Last edited by Slash; 04-12-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:50 PM
3rd Gear Member

Chevystudent:

Any V8 car, even with the 350 is most likely beat and in need of a full rebuild....If you have the funds, don't let the 305 scare you, just take it out and replace it with a 350 short block. From there you can figure out what heads, cam, intake you want/need to get the power you want and still pass emissions. Or you can go with a crate and tweak it for your purposes.

Slash: ....best of luck man, just that rear alone is 3K+. It took me 2.5 years plus to do everything and it wasn't 10k...unfortunately.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:44 PM

slash yes sir best of luck and thanks for the advice, as well as djs383.

i've pretty much pre-determined that i would be going with the 350 out of pure stubbornness and hell competitive edge for that matter. and anything you guys have to say is going right in my back pocket and will be used anytime i have to make a decision . like my name says i am merely a "student" among senseis' . i will update you guys as soon as im dollars away from enough to by my dream car and am "official" . then i will be shooting threads and hoping to get schooled some more.

Open Road & pce!

Old 04-13-2011, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by djs383
Slash: ....best of luck man, just that rear alone is 3K+. It took me 2.5 years plus to do everything and it wasn't 10k...unfortunately.
I won't be building it out of no-where definitely will take alot of time to acquire the parts i know this. And I think u were scammed if u paid 3k+ for a moser 12 bolt 3.73. I can find them used for about 1.5-1.8k, Brand new they're 2.2-2.5k
-
For the Major Components I have the prices pretty much set, And i'll be building it myself , List isn't finished but for the most part yeah

Holley Stealth Ram(polished): $2k-3k(depending where you buy it from)
Afr 195cc Heads: $1.5k
Comp Cam: around $1k
Moser 12 Bolt 3.73: $1.7k
Set of 30# Injectors: $200 (Was told might need 50#)
Magnaflow exhaust & highflow cat: $575
Dyno Don Headers & Ypipe: $800
Custom Burnt Chip(s): $100 ( I know someone who can do it for price of the blank chips & Dyno runs)
TransGO Street/Strip Shift kit: $150
3000 Stall converter: $400
B&M Megashifter: $0 (Already have)

= $8,400 to $9,400 for the above.

The only thing i really haven't looked up prices for is the Spohn Suspension work and the Rotors/Calipers(nor did i include it in the 10grand estimate), I don't mind waiting on Til after the Drivetrain is built to start planning/doing this.

Last edited by Slash; 04-13-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:31 AM
3rd Gear Member

Don't want to argue with you on one specific thing, but its more than the 2,200 you listed. I did not get a 12 bolt as I'll never do anything but street. I just used stock housing, hardened 30sp axles, c-clip eliminator, stock brakes, eaton posi w/richmond gears. That will take street tire burnouts all day.

I went to moser and the complete setup is right around 1,800....but our version of complete is different than theres. Unless you know someone, or are getting a used unit, take a look at there site.

complete setup ~1800 then....axles, brakes (stock brakes cannot be used) pinion yoke, posi unit, housing cover, fluids, driveshaft....depending on what application. etc. The rear was the last thing to be done on my car, I spent a long time looking around and I could not get a 9inch or 12 bolt under 3K installed. If you are planning on doing the install....then maybe, but rear ends are not for weekend shadetree mechanics.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I've seen/heard so many guys who "are building a street monster. or 600 RWP big block from a dump truck with a t-5" that its not even funny. A lot of dreamers.....so, when you come on with what appears to be a gigantic list of parts, at least 6mos to a year in the garage, then mention boring your block and putting an S/C or turbo on it, I just feel i've heard it before. No offense, if you are legit, best of luck and it should turn out great.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:22 PM

Well i know someone who can bore out my motor for next to nothing(if i wish to go that route) as well as do the custom burnt chips, dyno runs and i believe more if i need any help. Good old friend of my dad's and the father of one of my friend's as well.
-
I will be doing mostly all the installs myself, Only thing i'd have problems with is all the electrical and wiring which i have a guy who can help me with that. And then i can get it trailered to the guy's shop for the tuning and get it all finished up
-
And as i said S/C & Turbo would be very far down the road if at all. I don't like power adders as I said on original post and i was simply saying i could if i ever wanted to. But since this would be still a street driven daily driver i don't need that much power. 11s Are respectable from a street car and thats my aim.

Yes i am Legit If you read my intro I've already taken on a huge project before I spent 4 years restoring a 1969 firebird 400 (matching #s), I've been raised around old 67 Cougars w/ boss 302s, Dusters, Chargers, Chevelles, Camaros/firebirds, roadrunners etc and so forth my whole life. Dad has worked in car industry for 33years so definitely is in my blood(And i have plenty of resources if need be for help, b/c of this). I plan on starting and finishing this project but it will be a good while til i am able to start it. I'll buy the parts spanned over time then once finally have it all i can begin.

Last edited by Slash; 04-13-2011 at 01:28 PM.