82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Injector Click

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Injector Click

i read somewhere that injectors are supposed to make a clicking sound. is there any truth to this??

Old 05-08-2009, 06:34 AM
4th Gear Member

Truth is stranger then Fiction.....Seems that you do not know a lot about 3rd gen cars from some of your Posts..

Old 05-08-2009, 03:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well sir, no i do not know a whole lot about third gens, thats why i joined this site to learn more about them. you guys seem very knowlegable about cars. but when i refer to injectors, im speaking in generalities, be it gas or diesel or whatever. also, i never wanted to come across as some type of expert, because im not. but back to my question, i was just curious. sorry if i offended you in some way.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:53 PM
4th Gear Member

Some people hear them and some don't, never heard the FI injectors on my car.
Do a lot of reading first on 3rd gen technical specs over the years. thirdgen.org has some good info.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thank you, im not trying to come across as a smart a** in my reply. but i read the troubleshoot guide on my CAT 325C trackhoe, and acooring to them injector click is common but then again that is a diesel. but i know that injectors are louder on some than others. the basis for this question was that i hear a really light click on my iroc when it is running between two other cars, and not any other time, im convinced it is not a lifter, injectors maybe??

Old 05-17-2009, 04:46 PM
2nd Gear member

i know that the vettes click but camaros i dont know

Old 05-18-2009, 08:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the reply. I have conformation now that it was the injectors. they said some are louder than others but it no cause for concern.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:22 AM

YES, fuel injectors are supposed to click. when they click you know that they are putting fuel into the cyliders. they click becasue of the force that is being used to distribute the fuel. if you put your finger on the injector as the car runs you can feel the clicks, this is the fuel going into the motor.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:43 AM
2nd Gear member

only on the v8s? cuz my 6 didnt

Old 05-20-2009, 02:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Welcome to the beautiful world of camaro

Originally Posted by IROC-ON
i read somewhere that injectors are supposed to make a clicking sound. is there any truth to this??

I will confirm that fuel injectors make a clicking noise, you can really hear it when in idle or sitting at a stop light. It lets you know they are working! My 1988 IROC-Z has a TPI 350 that recently turned into a 383 stroker motor. Still clicks. My man if it were a lifter you would know it. If its a collapsed lifter it will soon start to make your valves click radically. It almost sounds like a rod knocking. The only difference in a rod knocking a lifter knocking due to collapse is that a rod will have a double lash. A deep thumping knock. You are ok. Also when installing new fuel injectors, you know your installing them right is when you hear the o-ring on the injector seat click. That other guys attitude was uncalled for and very unprofessional in my opinion. And I know that he may not be an expert, but I have been building third gens for 12 years. Hope this helps you my friend.

Quick Reply: Injector Click