82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Im thinking of exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Im thinking of exhaust

I had to weld a couple blown out welds on the ypipe.I dont like how the ypipe comes a c hair from rubbing on the oil pan.It looks home made.Well built and big pipe just doesnt fit the best.It is welded to the headers.No converter,3in from the flange to the stock style muffler.I want to change it all.The heads are brodix welded ported and redrilled and tappedfor the header bolts.I dont think that will affect fittment of headers but not sure.What would be the best flowing/fitting headers and ypipe for an82 z28.I need to get the most flow I can out of it.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:59 AM
3rd Gear Member

There aren't too many options. Longtubes are very difficult to get and fit and won't pass emissions. I'm using Hooker "smog" headers that fit pretty well. The left side is very very close to the starter and the right side needed the block lifted to install. They perform pretty well for being smog units, but that may not be what you're looking for.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the info.I am gonna put historical plates on it.So emmissions are not a problem.I will probably only drive it on the road a couple thousand miles a year.I live ten minutes from a drag strip, so wednesday nights that is where I will be with it.I just dont want to have to try three different sets of headers and ypipe to get a set that fits.I coach high school baseball and work full time.I dont have alot of extra time for the next couple months.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:54 AM
3rd Gear Member

Be careful. I don't know what state you live in, but historical plates do not get you out of emission testings. You need to pass emissions in order to register the vehicle and recieve a plate. In arizona they go by federal laws and the law says any year past 1966 needs tested. Tests change by year of the vehicle to account for more strict emission standards. Ex, my 67 mustang needs emission test as does my 87 iroc, but the iroc's test is a lot harder to pass. Get the right equipment for what your laws require.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by djs383
Be careful. I don't know what state you live in, but historical plates do not get you out of emission testings. You need to pass emissions in order to register the vehicle and recieve a plate. In arizona they go by federal laws and the law says any year past 1966 needs tested. Tests change by year of the vehicle to account for more strict emission standards. Ex, my 67 mustang needs emission test as does my 87 iroc, but the iroc's test is a lot harder to pass. Get the right equipment for what your laws require.
Be careful when you quote federal laws! You're incorrect when you stated the law is 1966 and later. The Feds didn't even have emission equipment requirements until 1975. Oregon does not even test cars built prior to 1975, because of this emission limit.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:10 AM
3rd Gear Member

That was not a quote of a federal law. But the clean air act, passed in 1963, and that is the law primarily responsible for the creation of our vehicle emission tests. I have not read the enitire law as its been amended a few times over the years and it isn't the lightest of reading. You are right in that there was no emission reduction equipment such as EGR or etc in 1967. There are many FTP's depending on what year the vehicle falls into. It is up to the state to determine thier test ranges, but they have to follow the FTP for testing. I was incorrect in saying anything post 66 needs testing. Some states do not require testing of vehicles that didn't come with emission reducing equipment. My state does require anything 67 and later. My mustang did not pass only because the system was pretty rotten, the only requirement I need to fulfill is put a new system on it that can be probed and make sure I don't blow too many HC's. They said as long as the carb is tuned even halfway its fine.

I was only trying to help him from making a costly mistake. There is some misconception of emission laws, classic plates, etc. out there I have a buddy who did an engine swap from an FI unit to a carb unit, and since the vin had an F code with set emission parameters, he can't get the carb to blow those numbers and he's F'd. He's trying to skirt it by finding a county that has no emissions and getting a PO box there.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

As of a few years ago, cars 1995 and older here in IL no longer get emissions tested. The testing facilities even removed the dynos so now no sniffer tests can be done. Before that, it was cars 1968 and newer that got tested. For some reason, my car just wouldn't pass. So after the second attempt, they let me fill out and send in a "Race Car/Show Car" affidavit, along with pictures, and I got an exemption. You might have a harder time getting away with that with a newer car.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks guys,I will make sure I check it out before I do anything.I drive a 89 buick century and it has to be tested.I dont mind putting a hi flow cat on it,I just want a system that works the first time with the most flow possible.