82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

how much you think this is worth

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Default how much you think this is worth

hey im looking for my first car...please i dont wanna hear any ooo the gas milage ooo the insurance will be bad, ive heard it enough from parents and friends but theres no way i can drive a 4 banger.

its a 1990 camaro with new hood and rims. Its a 5 speed with a 383 stroker. the body has 150k miles and the motor has 60k miles so i figure the motor has to be 5 years old atleast. he is asking 2500 but i want to know what you think.
thanks

Old 08-07-2007, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: how much you think this is worth

ORIGINAL: makowski

hey im looking for my first car...please i dont wanna hear any ooo the gas milage ooo the insurance will be bad, ive heard it enough from parents and friends but theres no way i can drive a 4 banger.

its a 1990 camaro with new hood and rims. Its a 5 speed with a 383 stroker. the body has 150k miles and the motor has 60k miles so i figure the motor has to be 5 years old atleast. he is asking 2500 but i want to know what you think.
thanks

how old are you, judging by your statement , you may barely be 16, my advice to you is pass on this car as it has way too much horsepower for a 16 year old ( probably pushing 400+ being a 383 stroker), second, Insurance will be outragoues for you cause yur 16 and once they see the motor under the hood. your best bet is to get an rs 2.8v6 speed. there pretty quick for a v6 and you wont kill yourself in it.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:23 PM

yea im 16, but i do know alot for 16 bout cars and motors.yesi alreadyknow a 383 has alot of hp and terrible gas milage but like i said i already know insurance, gas, blah blah. i have friends with nice cars as well and there doing just fine. yea i know everything im saying is just making me sound like an imiture little teenager but really all i want to know is what you guys think this car would cost, regardless of my age

also.. the 2.8 v6 camaros are bad. there the same motor that is used in the cutlass supreme, firebird and im pretty sure a form of that motor is used in the cavalier. those motors have a reputation for blowing there head gaskets. as a matter of fact my friend has that same motor in his cierra and the heater core just needed to be replaced and it leakes anti freeze.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

that doesnt matter that you know alot, you being 16 your gonna wanna race everything that moves and your gonna wrap that thing around a tree or a telephone pole. dont be like your friends, just because they have nice v8 cars does that mean you have too.get a v6 5 speed like i said and trick it out. youl have a nice car just like them. if ya want a v8 get one with a 305 then. 16 year olds dont need a 383. when i was 16 my friends were into camaros, t/a's, stangs, and all that. most of them ended up totaling there cars. you wanna know what i had a ford ranger pickup, not that i regret it cause it was the best truck/vehicle i ever had.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 PM

i do apreciate what you have to say and yes you are probobly right about what i will do mabye not the killing myself part but mabye the racing. im lookin at 5.0 mustangs as well...all i wanna know is what you think the price is.

look at my other post i edited it about the car you recamended for me.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member

for the price, thats a hell of a deal. dont get a 5.0 stang they be worse than the camaro on insurance. some companies wont cover 16 y/o's on the stang.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: makowski

i do apreciate what you have to say and yes you are probobly right about what i will do mabye not the killing myself part but mabye the racing. im lookin at 5.0 mustangs as well...all i wanna know is what you think the price is.

look at my other post i edited it about the car you recamended for me.
and to answer your reply about the 2.8 engine. it doesnt matter whats under the hood, if you take care of it the 2.8 could last over 200,000 miles. i had a 305 camaro parts car with 250,000 that ran good.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

i would just like to butt in here, first off the insurance is BULL, if you shop around you can get a great deal, especially if you have more than one vehcile(but it on with a brother or sister, rents usually raise it more) i have a pro street 87 with a mild 350 in it(i dropped it in place of a 2.8) and i pay $41 a month for it, im 19 now but ive been paying that rate since i was 17 with one accident under my belt, with just my name on my insurance. as far as gas, my view anymore is, if you paying $3 a gallon or more, you better darn well enjoy burning it off otherwise it doesnt matter.

now was far as that price, its hard to tell condition from the picture, but with that motor first thing i would check, if its a t5, and it hasnt been built for the 383 forget the car, or plan to put a new tranny in it. if its built or another 5spd, and the body and inteior are in good shape. i would go for it, what i usually do when buying used cars from people i dont know, once i know i want it, ill tell them, if itll pass inspection today, consider it sold, (unless they have already told me it wont) if they seem hessitant thats a bad sign, if they are alright with it, i offer to foot the bill($20 is cheap compared to getting 6 months down the line to find out $600 worth of brake parts are needed) even if its good for 11 months, i still do it, you never know the kinda garaged that did it. thats just my tip for the first time car buyer that doesnt know everything that they should look at when getting a car.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey, I hear you makowski. Seems to be a pretty good deal, but that's assuming it's a flawless car. IF you take a look at KBB, you'll see most third gens aren't worth more than 2k when in perfect condition... So you might want to print it off for the 1990 with all of the car's features, and figure some money in for the engine and paint (for the hood, if you want). Show him all this, and try and negotiate him down. Also, take a look at the interior, by the age, I'm judging it's not that great, so factor that in the KBB. With all of this when you negotioate, you should be able to knock it down a bit. Also, before you buy it, make sure it feels right, check the AC, the radio, all the features. I got mine and didn't realize that the cruise/turn signal lever had some serious issues. Still trying to figure them out... @ 83camaro, come on, he didn't come here to have you preach to him about how he's a kid and is gonna hit a tree, if he wanted that he'd go talk to his parents some more. He asked for help, and you kinda said don't get it, it's too much for you. (It's probably not 400+ horse, btw, I'd be interested in the actual hp and torque, if you ever dyno it). If you do get the car, I wish the best of luck to you.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:58 PM

hey thanks guys...but actually between posting this thread today and posting this post.???.??? if that makes sense i went with a buddy and lookeed at a 91 rs camaro. its a 305 but its not running. good condition no rust i think its an electrical problem. wants 600 ill try for 450. again thanks guys.

Quick Reply: how much you think this is worth