82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

How to make tires smoke :) but keep car still

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Default How to make tires smoke :) but keep car still

I'm wanting to take pictures of my brother for his senior pictures, and here's the shot I want:

Tires burning, smoking, but the car completely still. Can you accomplish this by powerbraking? He has a Camaro that can smoke the tires, but the trick is keeping the car completely still. Any ideas?

Old 07-10-2007, 10:34 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: How to make tires smoke :) but keep car still

hold brakes, give it gas, tires will spin, car will stay in place

Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 PM

That's it? How do the tires spin if the brakes are on? You're talking about foot brakes, and not E brakes right?

Old 07-10-2007, 11:13 PM
4th Gear Member

The power given to the rear wheels will over power the rear brakes (I can do it with my rear disc brakes so drum brakes will be a piece of cake)

Old 07-11-2007, 12:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

yes i agree thats the way to do it if its a manual just pop the cluch and push the break in and if its an auto just push it in but not terribly hard i can do it with my auto. v6 1991 camaro 3.1. and try to do it on blacktop concrete will screw your tires up.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes

also another cool pic would be if you could get ur bros car to streak across the backround like if someone road in the backround past as the pic was being tooken...may be hard to time it though.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:29 AM
Overdrive Member

Most of your stopping power is in the front brakes. As you hold your foot on the brake and start giving it gas ease off the brake until the tire(s) spin. Thats how I used to start my donuts in a small parking lot. One I heard the tires spin I let off the brake and cranked the wheel. I have a LSD so it would just spin forever and I would do figure 8s'. But thats bad. Shame on me.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

HAHA!!! This thread made me laugh; I taught my fiance how to drive about twelve years ago when we were still in high school. She always likes to point out that I taught her how to do burnouts and donuts, but not how to parallel park. lol

Old 07-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Overdrive Member

I never had to do much parallel parking. I did have to go to a driving school after my first speeding ticket and on my way back from a lunch break I noticed a spot right in front of the school in between two cars on the street. Well instead of backing into the spot ( I am driving my 73 Fiat 128 ) I gun the throttle point the nose in the spot and crank the wheel out to the street and yank up on the E brake and slide the *** end into the spot. I got lots of compliments from the others that were out side smoking and waiting to get back in to finish class.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:48 AM
1st Gear Member

You could also back the rear brakes off a bit! it will help you get the tire or tires, if you have posi? rolling better. Or i could send you a pic of my maro smokin them, but if he's on the honor roll he just might figure it out.[sm=gears.gif]

Quick Reply: How to make tires smoke :) but keep car still