82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

help if u can

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:00 AM
Default help if u can

i just bought a 90 cam rs with 305 auto.. it does not start. i replaced the battery now i have power in the car. i turn the key and everything lights up but the engine wont turn. i had the starter tested its good. i also tested the full pump. its good. i did find a brown w/white stripe wire with another purple? that is not connected , it was by the shifter? can anyone help?

Old 08-02-2009, 07:07 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so the engine will not turn over at all? is the starter clunking or anything?

Old 08-02-2009, 08:24 AM

nothing. its like its not gettin power. all fuses are good. i think the wirw i described earlier has something to do with it. i bought a chilton on it but the book doesnt show good enough wiring diagram

Old 08-02-2009, 08:57 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

use a volt meter or test light to check power at the starter battery connection, then have a buddy hold the key to the start position and check for juice at the little ignition wire. no juice to the little wire in the start position means a wire problem or a switch probem. no juice at the big battery wire means a wire or a connection probem with that wire. another way is u can short the small post and the battery wire post on the starter with a screwdriver and it should turn over. the small post will have the wire on it that runs to the the ignition switch. if it does not turn over u are not getting juice to the starter from the battery. if it does then u have a switch or wireing problem. have a fire extinguisher handy cause sparks may fly. make sure its in park or nutural with tires blocked, dont want to be running over yourself.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

is the car manual or auto? if its auto, the wires near the shifter could be for the park/nuetral safety switch. i dont know what color they are. also, the car should be VATS equipped, but i think that disables the fuel and not the starter. also, check the contacts inside the ignition switch if possible, they sometimes go bad