82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Help! Camaro z28 at stake!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:01 AM
3rd Gear Member

I could agree with that if you are selling it because you need the money and its a daily driver, but just because a transmission is slipping is no reason to give up and probobly take a big loss. Transmissions can wear out, and the fact two weren't right back to back tells me something else is going on whether its TV cable or bad installation the problem is fixable and probobly cheap too.

As for over heating, how do you know? Sending units go bad and dash gauges can read innaccurately. Using only those is no way to actually know what your motors running temp is. A new sending unit is dirt cheap.
Plus the 305/350 of that era was designed to run warmer for emission purposes. That thing is just fine at 200+ degrees.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by djs383
I could agree with that if you are selling it because you need the money and its a daily driver, but just because a transmission is slipping is no reason to give up and probobly take a big loss. Transmissions can wear out, and the fact two weren't right back to back tells me something else is going on whether its TV cable or bad installation the problem is fixable and probobly cheap too.

As for over heating, how do you know? Sending units go bad and dash gauges can read innaccurately. Using only those is no way to actually know what your motors running temp is. A new sending unit is dirt cheap.
Plus the 305/350 of that era was designed to run warmer for emission purposes. That thing is just fine at 200+ degrees.
The Tranny is fine now its the car itself,Something isnt making it run right,Everyone tells me the Overheating is due to possibly Cracked Heads but I dont know the engine sounds real strong still,I Dont worry about the Gauges,None of them even work on my car anyways,I know it overheats becuase the car turns off on me once its starts overheating,and it throw the coolant out

Old 03-15-2010, 05:04 PM

Anyone Have anything else i could try? The Passenger fan only works,Ive tooken on the thermostat becuase the one it had was not dirty so we wanted some more air flow,I also changed the oxygen sensor,when i drive it downhill and begin to press the brake the car will turn off, Can someone help me out i really dont want to sell this car

Old 03-15-2010, 07:48 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

one fan will turn on with the a/c, and the other will turn on to cool. both will come one once its over 245 degrees. the engine shutting is a bad iac valve. its in the throttle body. take it out and clean it, it may help. if not, replace it. make sure you have a thermostat in the car. running it without one will damage the engine even more. if you suspect a head gasket, are you getting any small bubbles smelling of exhaust or gas in the rad? and white smoke out of the tail pipe?

for the fans, you can rewire them to be turned on and off by you. the factory fans dont move much air though. my car would overheat with a high performance rad and the factory twin fans. i upgraded to a single 1200 cfm fan and it would stay under 200 with the a/c on during a 90 degree day in traffic.