82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Help! Camaro z28 at stake!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Default Help! Camaro z28 at stake!

Ok Well this problem ive been having for sometime,I recently changed my transmission (700R) on my 1988 Z28 Automatic Transmission with a Shift Kit, This is the 2nd Time ive changed it and both times have been 2 different transmissions Also The Back end of the transmissions were for a Manual and Not electric so we have had to change the part where the differencial goes in both times i dont know if this could be the problem,After we put it in and take it to test drive thats when it happens,As i press the gas it starts to take off fine but at about 15 or 20 MPH it begins to take off and rev alot and it begins to redline and the RPMs go all the way up untill it touches the needle,Makes alot of noise for nothing when it takes off but its not taking off as it should.Also my battery fried up,I used my brother bettery and that one also fried up im not sure if it is the car thats making the battery fry but its something or maybe a coicidence and brothers batteries are bad,I Took it out on his battery and it was running fine for about 10 to 15 mins before it died but it sounded like it wanted to cut off ,I really need some help can someone help me out if i cant get this problem fixed im going to have to sell my Z28 and i dont want to let it go,And id have to sell it well under what i bought it for,Someone Please help my out im really in need,I Have a mechanic that will help im just out of ideas of what the problem could be Thanks TREK1

Name:  643216.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  54.2 KB

Last edited by TREK1; 02-25-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Droid

Is the TV cable between the throttle body and transmission properly adjusted?

Old 02-26-2010, 01:12 PM

Yeah thats what we thought before becuase it was a bit loose,But we fixed that and its not that,My mechanic said it could possibly be the carborator that is very dirty or and Injector that isnt working

Old 02-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I don't know what you meant by "Also The Back end of the transmissions were for a Manual and Not electric so we have had to change the part where the differencial goes in"? You talking about the tail housing with the mount for the torque arm, and the speedo sensor?
What kind of shift kit did you put in, and what all was changed/altered?

Old 02-26-2010, 02:44 PM

Yes the Tail housing was swithced to electric,Im also not sure what kind of shift kit i bought it with it on,Nothin else has been altered everything is stock,Heres the First rebuilt tranny that we just took off to replace the new rebuilt one,This is the different tailhousing which is the incorrect one

Last edited by TREK1; 02-26-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:49 PM
2nd Gear member

Has your mechanic ever seen your car?? Why did you change transmission and where did you get new trans from? Does it shift? What kind of torque converter does it have?

Old 02-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

If thats your engine in the first picture...and your mechanic thinks you have a dirty carburetor.. perhaps its time for a new mechanic?

Old 03-02-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by nj85z28
If thats your engine in the first picture...and your mechanic thinks you have a dirty carburetor.. perhaps its time for a new mechanic?
Haha Yeah hes just used to working on Hondas not REAL Cars but he did find out thers no carb,We changed the tranny cause the last one went out,It just completly died out on my one day and it wouldnt shift at all completly dead,This tranny is a rebuilt one it does shift correctly

Old 03-02-2010, 02:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

I don't see what the problem is with the tail shaft housing. It has the correct torque arm mounting locations and has the speedo cable housing although I cant see that part clearly. It sounds like you don't know too much history on either transmission. If the first one was indeed dead, what made it go? How sure are you that this one wasn't cobbled together. I know a lot of guys like shift kits, but if the 700R-4 (4L60) is built correctly it will take a lot of HP/TQ and still shift correctly without the need of a shift improver kit.

Someone mentioned the TV cable. Proper adjustment cannot be over stressed. This not a kick down cable like an old C4 ford, the TV cable is responsible for shift points and pressure. Incorrect adjustment of one can lead to severe damage in under 100 miles. If you are sure that was adjusted, and the trans was in proper shape and with the correct convertor installed, drop the pan and check that fluid. That might give you at least a starting point.

I don't think the 4Pin converter lock out would cause electrical problems, but that needs to be remedied at the same time.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by djs383
I don't see what the problem is with the tail shaft housing. It has the correct torque arm mounting locations and has the speedo cable housing although I cant see that part clearly. It sounds like you don't know too much history on either transmission. If the first one was indeed dead, what made it go? How sure are you that this one wasn't cobbled together. I know a lot of guys like shift kits, but if the 700R-4 (4L60) is built correctly it will take a lot of HP/TQ and still shift correctly without the need of a shift improver kit.

Someone mentioned the TV cable. Proper adjustment cannot be over stressed. This not a kick down cable like an old C4 ford, the TV cable is responsible for shift points and pressure. Incorrect adjustment of one can lead to severe damage in under 100 miles. If you are sure that was adjusted, and the trans was in proper shape and with the correct convertor installed, drop the pan and check that fluid. That might give you at least a starting point.

I don't think the 4Pin converter lock out would cause electrical problems, but that needs to be remedied at the same time.
The Problem with the other one was that it was Slipping alot alot alot,This one seems to run a bit better but my camaro is still overheating,The Engine seems to be good,Ive Decided just To Sell it,Thanks Alot Everyone Though Appreciate It!