Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   82-92 V8 Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-v8-tech-13/)
-   -   gasket leak ??? (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-v8-tech-13/gasket-leak-13025/)

coppercar 04-10-2007 06:07 AM

gasket leak ???

I have a 95 camaro z28 auto. and my car can't go 10min with out gradually getting too hot. if I don't shut it off at that point it will go into red. I took it to a guy who said it was a head gasket leak. I hwant to make sure before I put in all the work. and I'm on a really short budget right know. how could I make sure that's the problem. Under the hood the car isn't even really hot and it sounds healthier than ever. if it weren't for the gauge you wouldn't even know theres a problem. Any help is much apriciated. Thanks.

Izzy 04-10-2007 01:05 PM

RE: gasket leak ???

Are you leaking oil anywhere?

74454bb 04-10-2007 01:16 PM

have you checked your thermistat, and coolent level?

94Z28SHAKER 04-10-2007 01:49 PM

sounds like your thermostat might be bad, like 74454 said, if the thermostat doesnt open it will just build up pressure and get hot.

94Z28SHAKER 04-10-2007 01:54 PM

dont your fans turn on when it gets almost to the 75% hot?

z28pete 04-10-2007 03:25 PM

You can have the coolant tested for combustion gases, and you will know for sure if you have a gasket leak. However, if you are overheating that fast, it could be a head gasket, especially if there is a lot of steam coming out of the exhaust when the engine is hot.

keokabear 06-28-2009 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by coppercar (Post 67241)
I have a 95 camaro z28 auto. and my car can't go 10min with out gradually getting too hot. if I don't shut it off at that point it will go into red. I took it to a guy who said it was a head gasket leak. I hwant to make sure before I put in all the work. and I'm on a really short budget right know. how could I make sure that's the problem. Under the hood the car isn't even really hot and it sounds healthier than ever. if it weren't for the gauge you wouldn't even know theres a problem. Any help is much apriciated. Thanks.

I just pressure tested for my gasket today. Get a pressure tester, most auto parts stores loan them. ( i like o'riellys). With the car cold, put the tester on your radiator. Don't pump it up. Start your car. If the presure jumps pretty high in the first 30 secs or so, odds are your gasket is leaking. Unfortunately mine is fine, so my problem is still a mystery, but maybe you'll get lucky.

keokabear 06-28-2009 10:55 PM

how to pressure tet your gasket

Originally Posted by coppercar (Post 67241)

I just pressure tested for my gasket today. Get a pressure tester, most auto parts stores loan them. ( i like o'riellys). With the car cold, put the tester on your radiator. Don't pump it up. Start your car. If the presure jumps pretty high in the first 30 secs or so, odds are your gasket is leaking. Unfortunately mine is fine, so my problem is still a mystery, but maybe you'll get lucky.