82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Electrical nightmare.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Default Electrical nightmare.

Long story here. I bought an 89 IROC with a 305.There are two main (not major) issues with the car.So I'm turning to this forum for some advice and common fixes to common problems with these IROCs. Never had a Chevy let alone an IROC.

1.) There is a discharge in the electrical system somewhere. I took the car to the local parts store and the meter said there battery was getting 14 volts to it, it was fluxuating (sp?) between 11 & 14. I was told the volts should be around 16. My next step was to take the Altermnator off the car and take it to have it tested. The clerk at the parts store said it is good.

The symptoms are: Discharge between the alternater and the battery, car cuts out under aceleration, starting to back fire after running the car for a while. Acting like a bad regulator. None of the dash gauges seem to work properly.
Some circumstances:[sm=badidea.gif] The wiring has been "butchered"; The previous owner wired the electric fan directly to the ignition switch, so when you turn the key on the fan comes on. And the starter is wired to a toggle switch that bypasses the ignition switch. And there is a "rats nest" of wires in the rear drivers side under the hood, which include an inline fuse and a roach clip. But everything seems to be operational.

Diagnosis: I'm thinking the internal regulator is bad in the Alternator. It will charge fine for a test on the bench at a parts store, butonce there is a load on it the alt. can't keep up with the demands of the car causingit to cut out and hesitates bad. The spark plugs look very good, and clean.

2.) The exhaust is missing from the cat back. I'm thinking about a glass pack where the cat is and routing the pipes in the original positions. I will do away with the cat. Will this be to much heat? or should I puta glass packin the back? Should I keep the cat?Is there any back pressure issues or Oxygen sensor issues with removing the cat? I don't have anylocal government regulations to worry about, noise or emissions.

The louder the car is the better, its my son's first car. Also the cheaper the better, its my son's first car.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:32 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Electrical nightmare.

Who told you you should have 16 volts in your charging system? 11-14 volts is normal operation. A bad alternator WOULD NOT cause your car to miss and hesitate, unless the battery is dead as well, the engine uses hardly anything, its the accessories such as the lights, heater/ac, etc. Do you have a MIL light on?

On your exhaust, if you think louder is better for your son's first car, look forward to him bringing home some tickets. A camaro is already a target car to most cops, combine that with a male teenager, and a super loud exhaust, he wont be able to drive it without getting a ticket. (Btw, this is coming from a teenager with a camaro.)

I am running a 2.5: y-pipe into a 2.5" pipe over the rear axle, then into a Flowmaster 80 series replacment muffler. Paid $95 for the muffler from jegs and I am VERY happy with it, quiet at idle, a nice rich sound on acceleration, and no drone when cruising, if you get a glass pack you will be fed up with the droning in no time.

On the Cat, its really your choice. If you are asking, I am assuming there is no emissions testing where you live? If thats the case, I say forget it, no reason for spending the money on one unless you are a tree huger.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:15 AM

The guy checking the Alt at the parts store said the reading at the battery should be 16 volts. I thought that sounded a little high but he is (should be) the "expert". I don't have any "check engine" lights on. or anything else. Like I said the gauges don't seem to be working properly. the discharging reads fine thought. I'll take the battery in and have it checked today. Maybe it's not holding a charge but I wouldn't think it would cause the engine issues.

There are no emmissions where I live so the cat can go (what I like about Ohio)!! NOT A TREE HUGGER! There are quite a few loud cars around also.Flowmasters are above the kids budget thats the only reason I'm considering glass Packs.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:09 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah, 16 volts would be overcharging, what exactly is happening? Will it restart after you run it? Does the battery go dead after a period of time? I would def. fix the electrical splices, thats never good.

Where at abouts in ohio are you? Im over in little Lima, and trust me, glass packs on a DD is not a good idea, troopers around here suck. If anything I would look into a cheap turbo muffler, like a thrush, you can pick one up for 30 bucks or so, the only problem is you will have to fab something up if you want dual outlet pipes from the muffler.

And believe me, I know all about staying to a budget with these things, the car in my sig I built from the ground up, starting with the engine when I was 14, its taken me this long to get a nice car together.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Overdrive Member

Have the parts "expert" put one of thier alts on the tester and see if it puts out 16v. 14.4 is excelent, not 16. But if your power drops too much when accesories are on that could cause a poor running condition. The fuel and ignition system are a bit demanding and does the IROC still have a TPI? That is more demanding than a carb. But do fix the obvious things first like the wires