82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

carb issues..Plz Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Angry carb issues..Plz Help

just finished swapping out my v6 to a carburated v8. 305 ci 700r4 trans good running conditon before we pulled it out , (All related MPFI parts removed) Brand New parts... edelbrock intake, new distributor, mech fuel pump n rod, used but rebuilt edelbrock carb (600)cfm.. anything important was replaced... ANYWAY.. i had it running for 3days now, first 2 were aswome.. it ideld smooth but now it will die almost immediatley when put into drive or reverse, i have all vacum lines hooked correctly- Pcv- dist vacum advance- brake buster-etc . i reset the timing twice #1 cylinder (correctly), changed the fuel filter, adjusted the fast idel and needel seats. double checkd spark wires placment. i sprayed WD-40 around intake n carb for vacum leaks- nothing- over heating not issue. I have to crank up the elecric choke, and fast idle to keep her running in drive- high rpms super rich- DOES ANYONE HAVE A GOOD IDEA WHAT IS WRONG??? please give advice, my first motor swap.. all advice is good...

Old 04-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

What did you do with the original in-tank fuel pump?

Old 04-04-2009, 03:44 PM

Of course i removed the electric pump from the tank, found an older fuel pick up from 82 camaro.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:55 PM

i changed the spark plugs, - were fine- changed the gasket between intake & carb. it will idle okay, stay alive in reverse and drive but will die if you accelerate hard.... SERIOUSLY, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE???

Old 04-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by chevycamaro89
...I have to crank up the elecric choke, and fast idle to keep her running in drive- high rpms super rich...
Gotta ask the obvious, is your choke opening up all the way? Messing with the choke setting is not the way to bring the idle up.
And you changed the fuel filter. The in-line one? And does the carb still have one of those micro-fine built-in filters too? If using an in-line filter, I would dump the in-carb filter.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:47 AM

Check your fuel pump. Make sure your fuel pump isnt clogged or has a stuck piece inside. If your not getting enough fuel to the motor when it demands it's going to choke and stall. Also if you have the millions of vacuum hoses GM put on those cars that is hanging off or not connected, there might be a start also.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:31 PM

the carb does not have the micro fine filter in it. i have a inline filter, thats what i changed. i disconnect the fuel line from carb, bumped the key, plenty of fuel no blockage, cleaned the jets out really good. The motor Will NOT stay running if the choke is over half way open, it will almost immediatly die. For example, it will idel pretty smooth but rev excellrator in drive or reverse, then die. i have to keep on foot on the brake and one on the gas for it to run. thanx for idea.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:35 PM

my only vacum hoses are the Pcv, dist. vacum advance, brake booster, and last vacum port is plugged, i have switched the dist. vacum advance between the plugged port- doesnt help..... all lines are sealed up tight, NO Leaks.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You could have sucked up a piece of crud that was between the filter and carb when everything was put together. You may want to pop the top off the carb and check the needle and seat to see if anything is lodged in there. And also check the float bowl to see if there is any crap floating around inside. If you have a strong flow of gas to the carb, then it sounds like the carb is starving out for some reason.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:10 PM

I removed the top off the edelbrock yesterday, thats when i cleaned the jets, needle n seats, (and air fuel screws?) there really wasnt any Dibree floating around. the floats looked level to one another....doesnt mean they are... but the carb now runs little better, than the first posting i made.

Quick Reply: carb issues..Plz Help