82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

cam shaft upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default cam shaft upgrade

ive been thinkin bout a new cam. what do i need to keep in mind when doing this. what kind of cam would be ideal for me. im not looking to race the car on a track, or street for that matter. its a 1985 camaro 305. what brands are best, is that edelbrock cam any good. what kind of lifters do i have. ive never done this before, but im not a noob to engines. ive torn down a few turbine engines. i know its diff, but im sure its alot harder and alot more specs to maintain. lol.

id also like to put a few other bolt on mods on the camaro. headers, intake manifold. things of that nature, and do more internal workings later. what do you all reccommend. i have a holley carb already. and a 4.5in exhaust from the cat back. will be getting a MSD hei streetfire sometime soon(to get rid of computer). umm. as far as emissions go, i live in virginia, im told that the only real emissions control i need it a catalytic converter, and i want to change that for a high flow cat. but all the other emissions stuff can be axed. so any input will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: cam shaft upgrade

If your going to do headers, an intake manifold, and a cam, i would go with edelbrock for the intake and cam. Get a performer eps intake manifold http://store.summitracing.com/partde...1&autoview=sku
For your cam: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...2&autoview=sku
For your headers: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...t=BIG-16102FLT
And those headers are emissions legal so you will be ok. Im putting those headers on my 350 thats why i showed you them they are the best headers for the money. Good luck with your project though. Oh and i would get some nice lookin valve covers as well because you have to take the old ones off to do the lifters. Good luck

Old 04-28-2007, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member

thx for the suggestions, i appreciate it. thats the same manifold i was lookin at. i was unsure about the cam and the headers.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

since im changing the cam shaft. there are a few things i have to take off. chain, gear, intake manifold, possibly any rods.

was thinking this for gears and chain. good enough? should i go more expensive or will cheaper be alright. good brand?
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

for my cam

manifold

am i right in thinking it would be wise to just change all this at once since i have to take it off anyway.

maybe a dressup kit for everything else.

input please

also,would it be better to remove the engine from the bay to do all this or is it possible just more difficult to do it while installed in the car. i dont have a lift, so that means i would have to borrow one if i have to take it out. but if i cant just take off the front end and it be easy all the same, im all for it.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:17 AM
1st Gear Member

bump

Old 05-02-2007, 07:26 AM
May 2007 ROTM

Didn't see this one, yeah those are good choices, if you can have a shop do it so they can tune your car to get the most out of it.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member

a guy i know said i should buy an engine from a junk yard and put all the parts i want in it, that way i have the car to drive and an engine thats easy to work on. while this sounds like a great solution to one problem, it seems unnecessary and problematic in itself because 1. i have another vehicle to get me around while the camaro is parked. and 2 being that i dont have a proper space for an engine to hang around at on stand. also it wouldnt be cost efficient or timely to have an engine sit out back with a tarp over it for months until i put everything in it and it would be a setback in itself because i would have to buy an engine and a stand. 150 for the engine and maybe 60 for the stand. now, im not sure what i should do. while option 1: (driving my second vehile while working on the camaro) is a good idea, option 2: (buying an engine and stand to work on) is also a good idea. one has more of a financial setback. or should i look at it as an investment. which would you all do?

the other prob i have with new engine idea is i didnt plan on putting a new engine is. think its stupid to have 2 305s. i wanted to put a larger engine in it. but if i do that i would need to change so many other things. driveshaft, tranny, rear end. etc etc. all things that would be better done in a garage, not a driveway. althought if i had 5 grand i could do it all in my driveway this summer lol. i dont have 5 grand. anyway, help me decide. and none of that "its up to you stuff" i know that. just help me make sense of all of it, and reason.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Well if you go with a 350 you dont have to change all of that stuff I pretty sure the trans and drivetrain even the ecu will work And you can get a chip for it thats if you not trying to go big block or anything. 2 305s is a bad idea i dont like them to start and you cant get much out of them but just driving one car and working on the camaro sounds more sensible to me anyway Well hope you figure it all out Good luck