82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

bouncy tac, and no shifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Default bouncy tac, and no shifting

The history as of at the moment, I purcahsed the car in last feburary. They starter didn't work atleast i thought that was the case at the time, I brought the car to my storage locker were it sat until last month. After changing the starter, and replaceing the stuck throttle body )(tbi cross fire injection), fuel filter and fuel line. I later discovered my motor had water sitting in it, preventing it from starting. I have changed the plugs, and drained the oil. The car is now running.

However, The car will not shift out of first gear. Also, when you start off you got allot of power, and as you drive more it slowly dies off. You floor it, and it sputters. I have a sticky lifter, and the tac at 2000 to 2400 rpms will bounce slightly while parked. When driving the tac will go insane and start jumping all over the place above 3000 rpms.[>:]

I can't seem to find a vacum leak. I have no coolant in the oil, and i have no oil in the radiator. I have no smoke coming out of the pipe. I am stumped. Does anyone have any ideas? When i get back home i'm going to spend the day replaceing the wires, cap and rotor that i have bought. However i'm not sure if the transmission is even related to the bouncing tac or not.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:23 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: bouncy tac, and no shifting

might be an igntion problem. replace the cap and rotor, and check the timing.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:20 AM

replaces wires one came off, one was cooked from exaust. Tac still bounces, but was smooth, replaces the cap rotar, skipping again but i may have cross 2 plugs on the fireing horder, however still does the same general bouncyness at top of the rpm guage. tranny still doesn't shift either.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Make sure you get your firing order corrected and you bouncy tach should go away, the tranny not shifting could be one of two things, either a blown tranny or a computer issue.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Tech Droid

Check the TV cable adjustment on the transmission, also may want to change the tranny fluid, being that water got into the engine it could also have gotten into the tranny. May also consider changing the plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, to smooth engine out.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

im going off the assumption you have a 700r4, thou most of what im saying will still apply to the 350 and 400trannys as well if you were only of the early 82's to have one.my bet on the tranny is its either low fluid or clogged up filter, in which case you'll usually only get 1 or 2 gears, alot of times 1st and reverse, or just 1st and 2nd, usually park and natural will work no matter how bad the tranny is. theres not a whole lot outside the tranny itself that can keep it from shifting, i dont what year yours is, but if its orig crossfire than that puts it early 80's, which means the only thing on your tranny that can be computer controlled is your overdrive, on the 700r4 thats all that computer controlled, and you dont need it, i dont even keep my hooked up, it shifts like it has a shift kit on it, infact you wont even notice it other than 4th gear when it would normally go to hit overdrive. some may say itll hurt the tranny, im not going to argue that point, the point is it wont keep u from shifting out of first. the only thing on the outside that can keep u from shifting is a stuck or messed up shifter cable(or shifter) as long as your tv cable is hooked up it wont keep it from doign it either, might shift like crap if its out of adjustment but itll shift, atleast until u burn up the tranny. Now a better question, if you bought this car non running, how can u be sure the tranny is good at all, normally when a 700 goes its 2nd gear or reverse, so your first gear usally work, i have 3 old 700's sitting in the garage, all 3 are missing 2nd gear. try shifting it right into 2 on the shifter, see what happens, if its shifts into it you may have somne internal issues.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:06 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

hey, when you replaced the throttle body, did you remember to hook up the tv cable and adjust it properly?

Old 06-13-2007, 07:43 PM

sorry for the delay i'm a truck driver. I figurd out i didn't hook up a cable on the trottle body, car shifts now, but still sputters and tac dies out at 3500 rpms. starts out smooth some times..seems speriadic (how ever you spell it) I don't have any oil in the radiator, nor any coolant in the oil pan. replaced the plugs, replaced the iginition coil, and the cap. Now i had to drain water out of the motor (hood seals are missing let the water into the motor when it sat outside) starts up idles fine with sticky lifter. It feels like its skipping or missing when your at 3500 rpms. But all the plugs are new and rechecked for tightness, and the wires were rechecked makeing sure they were snapped in. I also rechechked cap make sure it was on properly so the timeing wouldn't be thrown off.. Sometimes when you floor it the hood vents will open, but then it hesitates for a few then goes fine.

My brother is thinking its an electrical issue, possible a bad pick up coil? not sure if this car has one or not.