82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

boreing a 305

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 10:14 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Sinclairaity
yeah that was what i planning on doing after "boreing the 305"...after this little convo from everyone im def. going with the 350 and 383 stroker kit i spent couple hours talking to one of my friends who know's alot bout cars and he was saying the exact same thing..but no matter what engine i was always planning on replacing everything from cam to intakes etc...i just didnt know how big i could get my 305...but im defanitly going to be looking for a 350 now...anyone have a site that sells used ones cheap or a place to get them used that's guarenteed and safe? thanks for the comment's everyone btw!!
Craigslist.com

Old 07-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

.but no matter what engine i was always planning on replacing everything from cam to intakes etc..
Do your homework,establish a budget first and then work from there to buy the best parts you can afford.
There are all kinds if different crankshafts,connecting rods etc etc with varying degrees of performance and of course price.
Finding the right machine shop is important as well,find someone that knows how to performance prep a block and oiling system and properly balance the lower end.
A good builder won't come cheap but it will be money well spent if you want an engine that will not only perform but last a while doing it.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Y2K
Do your homework,establish a budget first and then work from there to buy the best parts you can afford.
There are all kinds if different crankshafts,connecting rods etc etc with varying degrees of performance and of course price.
Finding the right machine shop is important as well,find someone that knows how to performance prep a block and oiling system and properly balance the lower end.
A good builder won't come cheap but it will be money well spent if you want an engine that will not only perform but last a while doing it.
now ive been looking up stuff and saw one study on a 302 ford engine and overall it showed that a smaller cam put out more preformance than the bigger cam i think it was 252 against a 282 and higher rpms the bigger cam put out more but when your just at a cruise the smaller cam came up with more horse power..why is this and what is recommended a smaller or bigger cam for driving/preformance/street/little drag...lot in one cam lol

Old 07-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

now ive been looking up stuff and saw one study on a 302 ford engine and overall it showed that a smaller cam put out more preformance than the bigger cam i think it was 252 against a 282 and higher rpms the bigger cam put out more but when your just at a cruise the smaller cam came up with more horse power..why is this and what is recommended a smaller or bigger cam for driving/preformance/street/little drag...lot in one cam lol

See that's like the intake,it's all about peak hp and where in the rpm band it makes it.
Drag racing engines really don't need low or mid rpm power,they are all about wide open throttle high rpm power so that is what the cams,intakes etc are designed for.
How often do you run your street car at WOT?
Street performance parts are a compromise designed to give you gains throughout the engines rpm range that are better than stock without sacrificing driveability.
This comes in varying degrees from mild to wild so what a guy wants to do is match parts to the performance level desired and for the use of the car.
A radical build is fun to drive but may not be very practical for a daily driver.
What you don't want to do is miss match parts,like a really radical cam that may sound cool at the stop light but doesn't work well with your milder street intake/carb combo,you'll actually make better power with a mild cam that matches the other parts.
As far as what cam is best,lol you'll get volumes of info and opinions on that.
If you are doing a build the best thing to do is consult with a performance engine builder that has a proven package of parts that work together.
These guys have tried all sorts of different things,through trial and error they've figured out what works and what doesn't.

Last edited by Y2K; 07-25-2009 at 10:37 AM.