82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

boreing a 305

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 05:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default boreing a 305

How big can you bore out a 305 without drilling out the cylinders?
whats the biggest i can bore it out to and also..the same for a 396?
Oh and by the way im new lol just got an account like 3 minutes ago lol
thanks hope i get some answers

Old 07-24-2009, 05:37 PM
2nd Gear member

Hey, next time post directly under the 3rd gen, not in this subtopic "v8 tech"

you will get more answers directly under the third gen section.

yeah i suggest exaust first. Or get yourself a 350.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Overdrive Member

no,and around 320 cubic inches max im not positive

Old 07-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The major reason for overboring is for truing up the cylinders. Most blocks have no problem going .030 over. Going past that can sometimes be taking a chance due to possible core-shifts in the casting, creating a thin area in the wall. You could also hit a pin-hole in the cylinder. But, .060 has been done.
If you're asking about overboring to try and make a small engine a big one, you need to look at something else.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks guys really appreciate it i don't know to much bout cars and love learning as much as i can bout them.. so when you say .30 over what is that if were talking bout a 305 is that cubic inch? so i could bore it .30 and have a 335?

Old 07-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sinclairaity
thanks guys really appreciate it i don't know to much bout cars and love learning as much as i can bout them.. so when you say .30 over what is that if were talking bout a 305 is that cubic inch? so i could bore it .30 and have a 335?
No, that's boring any motor 30 thousandths of an inch or .030 over the standard bore size,not sure what that makes a 305,if you are looking for a bigger more powerful motor don't waste your time on a 305,get a 350 block and start fresh with that,there's plenty around for pretty darn cheap since they were made for decades and used in all sorts of GM cars and trucks.
A 350 is the same on the outside as a 305 so it bolts right in to replace a 305.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah thats what was confusing me..i knew it looked the same and that was what was throwing me off on the boreing..ok sounds good i do know this is a car i will be supercharging so i dont know if that chage's anything on the boreing you can still bore an engine and supercharge it right. that won't have an effect on a car, its just making your cylinder's bigger right...and what if i switch to a big block? is the only thing ill need is like different motor mounts and header's prob?

Old 07-24-2009, 06:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hello, I had bought a 1991 Camaro RS 305 car as my first car and I am still working on here everyday. I used to get pissed off at guys making the 350 comment. I would search the web for hours trying to find ways to work out the 305. I then started spending money on it. Well let me tell you that was money well wasted. I tried a 350 in the car and wholly **** what a difference. I would consider it. I live in the middle east and managed to find one lol. So they are pretty common. Just my two cents. Other wise I would go 30 over and you can get some pretty *****in' 305 stoker kits of eBay for cheap.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sinclairaity
yeah thats what was confusing me..i knew it looked the same and that was what was throwing me off on the boreing..ok sounds good i do know this is a car i will be supercharging so i dont know if that chage's anything on the boreing you can still bore an engine and supercharge it right. that won't have an effect on a car, its just making your cylinder's bigger right...and what if i switch to a big block? is the only thing ill need is like different motor mounts and header's prob?
Supercharging is an expensive game my friend,whatever motor you chose you'll need to replace every internal part with heavy duty stuff,crank,rods,pistons and on and on if you want it to last any time at all.
The 305 block is a boar anchor so don't waste any money building it for starters.
If you want to go blown you'll have to do it all at once,blower motors take special pistons and run low compression so you don't just build a motor and throw a blower on it later,it's not that simple.
Whether or not a big block is a bolt in deal depends on what year your car is, 305 powered cars never had a big block as an option and none of the third gen cars ever came with the big motor at all so that is not and easy retrofit.
1st gen cars and early 2nd gen cars came with big blocks as an option but even those aren't a mater of just a motor mount swap.
For instance I did a big block swap in a '69,the heatercore is different,the radiator is different,the accessory brackets are all different,you'll need all heavy duty running gear from the trans to the rear end,beefier springs etc.
Your best bet for solid reliable power without breaking the bank is a 350 block with a 383 stroker kit and some aftermarket aluminum heads and bolt ons.
Even then you'll need to build the rest of the car to hold up to the extra power.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah that was what i planning on doing after "boreing the 305"...after this little convo from everyone im def. going with the 350 and 383 stroker kit i spent couple hours talking to one of my friends who know's alot bout cars and he was saying the exact same thing..but no matter what engine i was always planning on replacing everything from cam to intakes etc...i just didnt know how big i could get my 305...but im defanitly going to be looking for a 350 now...anyone have a site that sells used ones cheap or a place to get them used that's guarenteed and safe? thanks for the comment's everyone btw!!