82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Auto vs Manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 01:44 AM
Default Auto vs Manual

Growing up I've always been told that if you have a fast ride then manual is the only way to go. Now that I commute everyday I'm considering getting an automatic. I've also heard that todays automatics are a lot better and it doesn't make that much of a difference. I was thinking of getting a 98-02 SS. Would it be pointless to have such a strong engine with an automatic transmission? What are your guys thoughts.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:26 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Auto vs Manual

The 4L60E is a pretty nice transmission, with the manual you'll get a bit better mileage, but if you're into running fast 1/4 mile times, an auto with a high stall will be best. I have an auto in my car and I'm not displeased at all, it shifts hard and fast when I want it too, but if you're easy on the gas, it'll shift very smoothly. The manual has a more agressive 1st gear than the 6-speed anyway(that's including the 3:73 final drive on manuals and the 3:23 final drive on the auto). I like my auto, but some people swear by manuals, it's really a personal preference thing I guess...if you like one better, go for it, but if you don't care, the auto will be cheaper.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:31 AM

I want a daily driver that I can still have fun with. A manual in bumper to bumper traffic isn't fun to me. I'm leaning towards an auto and maybe putting a shift kit in it. All my buddies swear by manuals and I see there point of being able to be in full control of your shifts. I still think its not that big of a difference performance wise to worry about. I just wanted to hear arguments for or against autos. Thanks your your reply 95slvr.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:53 AM
2nd Gear member

GM makes very nice auto's compared to other competitors *cough* ford *cough* But yea if you gita 4th gen Maro dont wory about performance from the auto it shifts HARD and witha shift kit/stall youll be set for the strip and this is comeing from someone witha manual.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes

autos don't miss shifts - end of story.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Overdrive Member

On the note of being able to completely controll the shifts: I can get my car to shift into the next gear at any RPM I want, you just have to control it with your right foot. Believe me, the auto doesn't take away from the fun factor of the car...

Old 02-01-2007, 08:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Some days im glad i have an auto but when people **** on it i get pissed. I would deffinetley say its a peresonal choice. What do you plan to turn the car into?

Old 02-01-2007, 10:40 PM
January 2007 ROTM

The biggest differece between the auto and the manual is the auto is quicker off the line ............... other then that its just a personal preference.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:58 AM

Alright A4 it is. Appreciate all your input fellas. I just thought from a rolling start already with some speed, driving a manual would have an advantage. As far as whatI paln on turning the car into.. Nothing super special. Just a nice daily driver with a few budget bolt on mods. Intake,cat back exhaust,cold air and lowering it are just about all I'd do it to it besides a few freebie mods like tb bypass. I'm not trying to take it to the extreme. Don't even know if I'd ever take it to the strip but I like doing my thing on the street and highways. Just something I can enjoy driving to work and what not. Maybe after a long time I might think about retiring it to just weekends and thats when I might put more in to it.

On another note with something like a trans-go kit would you guys recommend upgrading the tranny cooler or will the tranny last just as long with the stock one?

Old 02-11-2007, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

yep yep you can shift by leting yer put off and puting it down again the auto in a camaro are nice and you can still light the wheels when it shifts if ya want
ORIGINAL: 95slvrZ28

On the note of being able to completely controll the shifts: I can get my car to shift into the next gear at any RPM I want, you just have to control it with your right foot. Believe me, the auto doesn't take away from the fun factor of the car...

Quick Reply: Auto vs Manual