82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Another 1st Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Another 1st Camaro

Hey guys, just joined up and just saying hello. Im in the process of getting a 1985 z28 IROC and was just wondering if there was anything I should know about the car. Ill post up pick as soon as I get it. Its black has 43k miles and is in really good condition except a few minor things. Also any word on what insurance would be for me, im 18 and im in mass. Hopefully ill have pics up soon!

Old 11-27-2007, 09:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Another 1st Camaro

Hey Duffman, i just recently sold my 85 Iroc-z28 great car, as for insurance i payed $105 for full coverage and i drove it when i was 17,18. But who knows insurance companies are all different.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Good to hear about the cheap insurance. I have a friend that used to have one and said it wasnt bad. I think its because the blue book value is so low on them. Anything else I should know?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I pay 70 bucks a month for plpd on my 87 iroc

Old 11-28-2007, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Well a few things...

It only has five digits on the odometer so while it may say 43,000, it may actually be 143,000. I would make sure the seller isn't giving you a load of bull.This isreally my main concern whenever looking at cars like that because mine said 42,000 when I bought it, it was in great condition, but it really had 142,000. I, however, knew that it had 142k on it so I didn't have to be concerned about that.

Other than that, you should be pretty much set to buy it if you think it's in good condition and it runs great. How much are you paying for it if I may ask?

And, my 1989 RS V8 5.0L is $96 a month for full coverage with a good student discount, and a year of good driving discount. I had a 350 5.7L dropped in, but that didn't affect my insurance rate at all. My guess is yours will be around $100 as well depending on how busy the streets are where you live and the crime rate.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Im paying 2gs. Its in really nice cond and was garaged. No rust and the motor starts right up. The guy who owns it has been in jail for years now so I think the milage is right. Anyway to check what the real milage is?

Old 11-29-2007, 09:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Unfortunately there is no way to verify milage. My IROC says 05508. It has been in storage for many years outside in Arizona so the paint and the interior are damaged but the engine and tranny are perfectly clean with shiny blackpaint on the engine blockand aclean aluminum transmission and TPI unit.

The engine bay looks brand new with super nice blue paint (under theArizona dust) and hasnone of the brown oily buildup so common with these cars. The chassis and unibodyare also new looking with no scrapes or dents at all andlookfactory.
The interior show no signs of wear besides a cigarette burn on the dr seat. The arizona sun Killed the dashpad, headliner, leather steering wheel, radio and the console switches were all bad from corrosion but when I changed the switches the windows roll up and down easily. (almost fast)

The rear hatch goes up and down like brand new, even in the cold but the pull down motor plastic was killed by the AZ heat.

Even the cruise control lettering is perfect and the steering has noplay

Nobody restored these cars back in the nineties when it was put into storage so I have to assume it suffered it's abuse after it was parked. (broken windshield, dents on hood and fender).

I believe the mileage on this car to be original but I have no way to prove it because I bought it atthe abandoned vehicle auction in a MiniStorageand there was no paperwork in the console or anywhere else.

Doesn't matter because I don't plan on selling it anytime soon.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:37 PM

Wow you guys get really cheap insurance. Granted my grades aren't the best i pay 170 a month just liability for my 1982 Z28. Im 17, with no tickets, accidents or any driving infractions. I'm getting completly screwed. It sucks too knowing that if I get into a crash I'll lose everything. And If I get once ticket it bumps up to 230 a month. WTF?

Old 12-08-2007, 08:15 PM

Yeah the insurance will gradually go down every year older you get from 16-25 after that if you remain acident free you should see a nice drop and then it just stays pretty steady till you get the old people discounts lol. That majority of bad drivers are teens, sad but true =/

My insurance was like 165 starting out, would have got on my parents plan but they wouldn't insure the older car I had at the time.

I just bought an 87 Z-28 and insurance is like 83 a month, I am 24 now though, antisipating that 25+ discount.

Just keep in mind prices aren't univeral, you have to factor, your location, age and compare with other companies. I got 3 quotes on this one, ranged $83-$97 with the same insurance coverages...

Old 12-12-2007, 11:58 AM

I just bought a 1992 Z-28, my insurance is 958.88 every six monthes. So do the math... it's like, 159.00 a month. Lets me work a little more.