82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

97 1500 vortec 350 swap opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Default 97 1500 vortec 350 swap opinions?

So I have a 97 chevy 1500z71 thats engine needs to be rebuilt and I plan on doing that with a guy I know sometime during the fall. I had a passing thought but how much would it take to put it in my 92. Dont need super specified details but general overall what would it take. If I did so I would also put a standard tranny behind it. And Id just put the 305 in the truck.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Not a good idea. Your truck will be way under powered with the 305, next the cylinder head have a different bolt pattern from the 92 to the 97 for the intake so that wont work. Best idea is to just rebuild the vortec in the truck or get a new one from GM and then rebuild that one for the 92 and go from their.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:04 PM

Okay. I wasn't saying swap heads from the 350 to the 305 or the other way around. Was just saying rebuild the 350 and put the whole thing in the camaro. I was also thinking of putting a 07'ish 4.8L vortec engine in the camaro because a friend I work with has a stock truck with that engine and it will easily outrun my trucks 350 (when it is working) any day. Plus it has about the same horsepower as the 5.7 vortec.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:06 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Al'swhite92
Okay. I wasn't saying swap heads from the 350 to the 305 or the other way around. Was just saying rebuild the 350 and put the whole thing in the camaro. I was also thinking of putting a 07'ish 4.8L vortec engine in the camaro because a friend I work with has a stock truck with that engine and it will easily outrun my trucks 350 (when it is working) any day. Plus it has about the same horsepower as the 5.7 vortec.
Budget: how much money do you really, honestly have to spend?

Alternate transportation: Do you have full access to another vehicle for 3-4 months?

CBA: is your car that honking pristine with paint, interior, suspension etc that a new drive train is worth the investment? Or, are you better of going newer or in better shape?

Plan: after you come to a real and HONEST dollar figure at your disposal (I said accurate and honest) then and only then can you create a plan

Many businesses fail because they never ask consumers A: would you buy xxx product and if so B: how much would you pay

upgrading a car is exactly the same

you need to know how much money the consumer (you) are willing to spend before you can develop the product (the plan)

so please stop jumping around with this engine or that engine; it's time to go through the correct process

If you come back and say

I have $1,000 to spend and also say that you want reliability then I'll say to keep dreaming.

If you say that you have $1,000 to toss in some used junk and keep your fingers crossed then I'll say go for it and find one of them thar "fresh" or "rebuilt by a friend" or "pulled from a xxxxx and was running great" engines which you see on CL all of the time.

Oh, all of those are BS by the seller so Caveat Emptor

Last edited by torque_is_good; 08-25-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:18 PM

To torque_is_good. You are dead on and I do agree with what your saying. 1. I have in the thousand dollar range. I am working so I have money coming in that I can put to it but I would like to stay close to that price. 2. I will have my streetbike fixed before I started the swap or I would carpool with a friend to work which I had been doing before I bought the camaro. So not exactly full access but enough because Im 18 and dont go alot of places. 3. The car is clean. Good paint, redone interior ie. seats and carpet, and mechanically its good other than the slight engine issues. If I did put a larger engine in I would also put cromolly axle shafts in it and possibly a mechanical locker in the long run.
And yes I know there is a low chance of finding a engine with my budget that is all ready to run needing no work or anything but thats how the automotive world is. And I have not put alot of thinking into this at the moment because I would not be starting this relatively soon and yes I was just throwing around ideas of different engines but if a "good" deal comes up for some engine then I want to keep my options open. That may not be the best way to do it but hasn't failed me yet with my jeep cherokee Im building for offroading. However that project will take longer and for now I need a decently "reliable" vehicle and when I graduate Ill take my camaro to UTI where I will be going after this next summer.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:32 PM

And I saw this engine on CL and wasnt sure if it was worth it or not with the work it needs and I am not an engine expert by far but what is your opinion on this engine. I would like to go with carbureted so I can learn about them and not deal with the electronics for fuel inj. and such. Link > Chevy 350, 4 bolt mains, double hump angle plug heads, motor/engine

Old 08-27-2012, 10:10 AM
4th Gear Member

the CL seller must be a comedian

here, let me rewrite how the ad actually should be worded

For Sale- engine with trashed block and bad internals

block can't be machined any more so ideally suited for those looking to anchor a swimming dock to the lake bottom

heads are cracked and and also not even close in performance to truck Vortec heads but saying they are form the muscle car era will male a teenager consider buying them although they are old technology and don't perform anywhere near as well as the new heads

I'm asking $700 and know it's not even worth $70 but hey, if you don't know any better I'd be happy to take your cash

Please call me at my business "Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe" at O U 8 1 2

Old 08-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ lol..... but true.
t.i.g., I don't think you'd make it as an ad copywriter for hire!

Last edited by Camaro 69; 08-27-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:22 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
^ lol..... but true.
t.i.g., I don't think you'd make it as an ad copywriter for hire!
I writez em az i seez em

Old 08-28-2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
the CL seller must be a comedian

here, let me rewrite how the ad actually should be worded

For Sale- engine with trashed block and bad internals

block can't be machined any more so ideally suited for those looking to anchor a swimming dock to the lake bottom

heads are cracked and and also not even close in performance to truck Vortec heads but saying they are form the muscle car era will male a teenager consider buying them although they are old technology and don't perform anywhere near as well as the new heads

I'm asking $700 and know it's not even worth $70 but hey, if you don't know any better I'd be happy to take your cash

Please call me at my business "Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe" at O U 8 1 2
Lol. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quick Reply: 97 1500 vortec 350 swap opinions?