82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

91 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 04:46 PM

We don't have a MAF we have a MAP and tested it and it tested fine. Thinking it might be due to the timing now. I sent a PM to 69 hoping he would have more insite for us. Sure hope he does! We checked the distributor and it was pointing off by 1 point.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:52 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

off by one point? one plug wire outlet? one tooth on the distributor? should be able to turn the dist. to line em up. the only issue is how did it get that way. did u take it out? if not im wondering if the timing chain is streched or jumped a tooth. 69 is a good sourse.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:36 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by phelps3
While my husband was home on R&R it was running and discovered 2 fuel injectors had gone bad. Weren't really having many problems other than it was running rough and rich. It did take a bit to start but would eventually fire up. He then left and it did start the couple times I drove it. But then it did eventually about a month later just wouldn't fire up. It would just crank and crank but no start. He came home and was able to change out the injectors and the same problem, would just crank with no start up. At the same time he replaced the injectors he replaced the fuel filter. Still nothing!
I had to go back and see what brought on the dead car syndrome in the first place...
After starting at the beginning of this thread, I didn't see any mention of you checking for error codes? Have you? There can be some stored codes, even though your service engine light isn't on. And with the way it was acting before, you should have had some error codes present. Before throwing any more parts (or a sledge hammer) at the car, try to read the codes. Here's how: https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-general-10/faq-how-read-codes-20385/
As I gather, the car was running and driving, just kinda crappy, and the two injectors were the suspect? Were they not firing, or how were they diagnosed? And what brand of injectors did you put in? So the injectors didn't do the trick, and neither did the mountain of other parts you threw on. Plus it will run, but rough, on starting fluid. Is that pretty much it so far?
You need to start back and work on process of elimination. Since you've been messing with the timing, let's get that set back right again first. With the #1 spark plug removed, tap the engine over bit by bit while having a finger stuck in the spark plug hole, and stop as soon as you feel the pressure blowing your finger. Now look at the notch on the harmonic balancer in relation to the timing tab. Rotate the engine until the notch gets to the TDC mark on the tab. Rotate the distributor until the rotor is pointing to the #1 plug wire on the distributor cap (with the cap on, make a reference mark on the base of the distributor if you need to). Snug down the distributor clamp. Now put the cap back on and double check all of the plug wires to make sure none got crossed, it can happen. Start with #1 and work your way clockwise around the cap. Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Drivers side cylinder bank (front to back) is 1,3,5,7. Pass side is 2,4,6,8. I don't know your skill level, so forgive me if it sounds like I'm making you sound dumb, I'm not.
Also, in your parts smorgasbord listing you mentioned a distributor cap, but not a rotor. If you haven't already, replace the rotor as well, it could be carbon tracked.
Let us know the outcome after breakfast!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:48 AM

I did purchase a rotor along with the other parts. The sledge hammer is waiting in the wings as my patience is running short. I ran the compression cycle to TDC and low and behold the rotor was pointing at 1 as it should. With that in mind I would figure that the timing is on for the most part. I just tested my pickup coil and had about .8 ohm on the coil and .85 volts cranking. As for the injectors, I purchased and installed the Bosch D5B that many people have purchased and installed. I ohm checked them prior to installing and they all ohmed to 14 +/-.2. I know the originals are about 16.5 ohm. The motor is a 305 TPI and I could smell that the engine was running rich. I pulled the wires and ohm checked all the injectors to find 2 were bad and one was on the way. I double checked the wiring at the cap and the firing order is correct. I have worked on a couple engines but it was usually limited to cap/rotor, plugs/wires, and accessories on the outside. The last car I replace the intake on was a carb car and I never really had any issues tuning those. I am begining to hate FI more and more. You've read my list of parts that have gone in and with the exception of the FPR, all the others seemed ligit when I checked them and it didn't perform as expected. The ignition was probably the only one that I knew had to be replaced before all this started. Now that it is replaced, I'm getting a nice blue spark at the injector. As an additional question to the ignition. How much of an effect is the plug gap going to have on the car? It should still turn over if I remember correct. I ask because i bought plugs and had to regap them all to .35 as the book specs but they came out of the box at .45.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:17 AM

Well she is getting towed to the auto shop on post! They told us that we shouldn't have replaced the fuel injectors, whatever that means! Hopefully it doesn't cost us an arm and a leg to get it fixed. Will let you all know what they say!

Old 12-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by phelps3
How much of an effect is the plug gap going to have on the car? It should still turn over if I remember correct. I ask because i bought plugs and had to regap them all to .35 as the book specs but they came out of the box at .45.
None at all, really. Although the plug gap on your engine was recommended at .035, the ignition can easily handle .045 and more. I wouldn't have anticipated you having a runnability issue or noticing a difference in performance one way or the other. But, you might as well just stick with the specs.
And I asked about the injectors because if the new ones don't flow the same as the remaining factory ones, the engine management system is going to try and compensate and mess up the whole air/fuel balance. I've had that very thing happen to me by replacing only one injector. The engine ran even worse than it was with the bad original injector. So I soaked the old one in carb cleaner for a while, swished it around, removed the new injector, put back the old, and the engine ran like a top. And this was after trying fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank for a couple of fill ups. In your case, a mis-matched injector or two should not create a no-start situation. It would/could cause a lean or rich air/fuel mix after the engine is running though.
You had mentioned about half of the spark plugs looking like the engine was running rich, and the other half looking lean. Were the two injectors that were replaced, on the same side of the engine by chance?

Last edited by Camaro 69; 12-15-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:30 PM

The failing fuel injectors were on the same side. But we did replace all 8 of the injectors.
The car is at the mechanic shop and when we drove past it was already inside. So hopefully we will hear soon what is wrong with it!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:39 AM

Just wanted to let you know that we heard back from the mechanic. They said that we need to have AC Delco spark plugs in there and that they think it is bad gas. They got it to start on starter fluid and stay running on its own gas. Got it warmed up turned it off and re-started it and it started just fine. So they are going to change the plugs and clean out the gas. We won't get it back for 2 weeks, we are going on vacation. So hopefully when we get back we can pick her up and she will run just fine!

Old 12-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Is there any way you could have accidentally put diesel fuel in the tank? Some gas stations by me have diesel at one of the same pumps as regular gas. If not paying attention, it can happen to grab the wrong handle and pump diesel instead. I know at least two people who have done that (not me). It really messes up, and can even ruin the injectors.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:50 PM

No diesel here. Our gas stations on post don't carry it, so no mistaking what you are getting! Hubby doesn't want to believe that it is a bad gas issue. he thinks it is still something else. But we shall see when we get it back!

Quick Reply: 91 Won't Start