82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

91 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Default 91 Won't Start

Ok we have a 91 Camaro that just won't start! It will crank but no fire! We can hear the fuel pump prime. And have replaced fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs, wires, distributor, manifold air temp sensor, I think that is about it. We are lost as to what is going on! Any help greatly appreciated!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:32 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

You replaced the distributor or just the cap? check your timing.
also, stop buting parts that you might not need, why did you replace the furl regulator or the air temp sensor? Do tests and checks first, before spending tons of money.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:43 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

are u getting spark? if u spray gas into the tb will it run? need to narrow down to either fuel or spark.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:42 AM

Putting starter fluid in the tb and it runs, shakey but it runs. Checked the spark plugs after and the evens are black like it is running rich but the odds are white like it is running lean. We also replaced just the cap. The fuel regulator was replaced because someone said that might be the problem. And the air temp sensor because it was bad.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:58 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

there are fuses in the power box under the hood for the injectors. one for one side of the motor and one for the other. check those fuses. get a noid light and check to see if the injectors are gettin orders from the computer to shoot fuel to the cylinders. just changing the cap and rotor can help to make the car run better but if the opti reader or the crank sensor is toast then u need to change the whole opti. i personally would change the complete opti. dont like taking the water pump and all the crap off more than once in a great while.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:15 AM

Ok we don't have a box under the hood with fuses. And did the noid light check and they are pulsing. Is there a way to test the crank sensor?

Old 12-12-2009, 12:07 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

damn i was thinkin u had a 93 ok. so thats a strange one. if the injectors are getting orders then it would be logical its in the fuel availbilty. have u checked fuel pressure. crap the only thing left is the pump. uve replaced just about everything. what about the fuel filter? water in fuel?

Old 12-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Just because you hear the pump prime doesn't mean it's pumping with good pressure. My old 91 did the same thing, and with the fuel line disconnected at the TB, the gas barely dribbled out when the pump was priming. Determined the problem was obviously with the pump (already replaced the filter). The rubber connector between the pump and sending unit assembly was all deteriorated and cracked open. Gas was just pumping right back into the tank. After digging into it that far, I replaced the pump as well. Your issue could be the connector too, or the pump itself. Check for fuel pressure at the TB.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:40 PM

The fuel filter has been replaced by us as well, sorry we have replaced so much that you forgot what has been done! We have checked the fuel pressure and it was 44 psi when it primes. We have others tell us that that doesn't matter that it could still be a weak pump, any thoughts on that? The hubby is getting ready to head out there now and check the lines and disconnect it at the tb to see what happens. Will let you know! Although if anyone has any other thoughts that would be great!

Old 12-12-2009, 01:59 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes u can get pressure but no flow. he should get an idea of any flow problem when he disconnects at the tb.

Quick Reply: 91 Won't Start