82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

88 iroc z28 wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Default 88 iroc z28 wiring

i just bought an 88 iroc z28, im in the middle of getting it legal right now has tags from 07, anyways none of the gauges on the dash work except the battery charge gauge, and the tachometer, but the tachometer doesnt work right, when the engine is running it randomley starts flinging back and forth, and when the hazards are on it goes all kinds of crazy, thats one thing, the blinkers also are messing up, the blinkers just stay on when the car is on, they dont blink, just stay solid on, and the right arrow light on the dash is also always on, simply put i have to turn the blinkers on and off manually to get them to blink, but what i dont get is the hazards work fine, all the lights blink when the hazard lights are turned on, now ive been thinking its a grounding issue but i have no idea where to look for grounding spots, and ive been told it could be a bad bulb, but they all work, and it just doesnt make sense to me

if anyone could help me out any thatd be great

by the way my name is steve, im new here, but im sure ill be a regular on here

Old 03-05-2009, 08:10 AM
3rd Gear Member

As far as the lights go, it does sound like grounding. If you have a bad bulb or a loose bulb for turn signals it will make everything goofy. You can't have an open space on the gauge cluster, as its that circuit board plastic film deal. I would check ground, remove a bulb (carefully) and start checking each ones contact. As far as the tach goes, it works....even if its random. So it sounds like something behind your gauge cluster is a cluster. Be patient in getting that gauge cluster out it is difficult.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:02 PM

alright cool, appreciate it, ill check the bulbs and ill start on the gauge cluster and check back, i thought it might be a bulb too, but they all work, but ill check them anyways

Old 03-10-2009, 11:51 PM

ok so i went ahead and replaced all the bulbs and the flasher relay, still have the same problem, im gonna look at the grounding spots tomorrow, and i took out the whole gauge cluster and i found out why the speedometer isnt working, the kid i bought it from rigged some kind of ****ty(sorry for the language, but this guy makes me mad with all the rigging hes done to this car) electronic speedo gear on the tail housing of the transmission to get rid of the original manual one, for god knows what reason... anyways, heres a picture of it, and im wondering if theres a way i could cheaply restore it back to manual, because i have the speedometer cable already running down there
Name:  SANY2187-1.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  39.7 KB

thanks again
-steve

Last edited by wwwyzzerdd; 03-10-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

you need to remove that housing from the transmission by removing the driveshaft and unbolting the 4 bolts. replace the gear housing and appropriate gears for your tire/rear combo. or find a member or someone on ebay who is selling a tailshaft housing for your 700r4 with everything in tact

Old 03-11-2009, 12:01 PM

thanks for the reply, i was hoping to go to u pull it today and see if i could get one off of an old oldsmobile, if im not mistaken a lot of them use the same transmission as this camaro right? if not i might be able to find a firebird in there, i went and looked yesterday and the only camaro in there is missing the transmission

Old 03-11-2009, 03:25 PM

alright well some good news finally, i got the gas gauge and the temp gauge to work, all i did to those was moved the needles with my hand to the down position and i guess it some how reset them, but now all that doesnt work right is the tachometer and the oil pressuer gauge, well that and the speedometer, but i know whats wrong with it now, just a matter of getting the parts now. when i turn the car on doesnt even have to be started the tach just starts to rise up in rpms and keeps rising until it hits the needle stopper on the other side, and then starts slapping back and forth when the engine is running.. could it be the sender? i think the tach and the oil gauge are both on the same cluster.. thing, that would explain why the oil pressure guage is messing up

but anyways, just posting back, at least i dont have to worry about how much gas i have anymore, and ill know how hot the engine is