82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

86 IROC vs 89 Mustang Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 86 IROC vs 89 Mustang Question

this all started like this. earlier this year i was interested in obtaining a low mileage good condition camaro . finally i got the car. a couple of weeks ago my buddy got a 92 RS and is doing a 3.1 to 350 swap, its almost done. well after he got his camaro another one of our coworker/friend i dont know if he was jealous or what but he felt he needed to get a car, hes obsessed with mustangs so he ended up getting an 89 5.0.

the guy that got the mustang kinda follows the trend of whats going on, last year my friend and i both purchased AR-15s so he had to get a gun. earlier this year my friend and I got boats, and then this other guy ( the one that got the 5.0 stang) just had to get aboat.

well i have had my camaro roughly a month, my buddy had his camaro for about 2 weeks, and the other guy got the 89 mustang wednesday.

after the guy got the mustang wednesday he started to get real cocky talking sh*t , saying things like hes got the fastest / baddest car out of anyone we work with, better than my IROC, better than my friends 350 camaro, better than my friends eclipse GT.

He claims the mustang has a cam in it and was bored .30 over. it was originally a 2.3 4 banger and converted to a 5.0. he also went on to say it still has 4 cyl rear end in it.

well hes saying that my camaro doesnt stand a chance against his mustang, but when i told him to quit talking crap and race , he keeps making the excuse that he was told he couldnt run it hard because the 302 would twist the rear end like a pretzel. well i was told by another friend that they raced last night against his jeep cherokee.

so i thought " wow , he can race against a cherokee but cant run the stang hard against my camaro?" he claimed that hes waiting for the v8 rear end before he'll run the car hard. kinda sounds like hes dodging me doesnt it? he told me in his mustangs current condition that my camaro doesnt stand a chance, so he should race me with the 4 cyl rear end in it since hes so confident shouldnt he? why wait for the v8 rear end if he can beat me now? a couple of friends of mine seem to think i can take him in a race. another friend was tellin me stories where his 91 3.1 lumina outran 5.0 mustangs.

If he ends up growin a set and races me what can i expect to happen when we race?

heres the spec on our cars

Mine:

1986 IROC
bone stock 5.0l 305 TPI
4spd 700r4 auto trans
Borg warner 9 bolt posi rear end

His car

1989 Mustang LX
original 4 cyl converted to 302 bored .30 over and cam
5 speed manual transmission
stock 4 cylinder rear end

what can i expect to happen when/if we race?

Last edited by 1983camaro; 07-09-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:54 AM
4th Gear Member

This may not answer your question, but in 1989 a 5.0 5sp LX would run circles around 305 TPI and the 350 TPI would only give it a good run. With that said, my opinion in 2009 you could toss a coin and get a better answer then with those BS cars.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I feel the stang would win. Stock GM engines are kinda neutered compared to Ford's stang ones. especially if he has it worked. maybe you'd get lucky and he'd blow the rear trying and win that way, but in my experience, without an engine rebuild stangs usually had the advantage. More so if he's adept at driving stick. Less you have a shift kit on the 700r4.

That said, I think most stangs look like crap and a camaro looks like a real sports car. But as black said, these days, it all depends on how tired the engine is etc. Since yours is stock however, and his seems to have work done (likely recently?), he'll win.

Save up some cash, trash the 305, get a 350 (on my own todo list)... build it right... Profit.