82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

86 iroc sitting for 12 years

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Default 86 iroc sitting for 12 years

My uncle has a 86 camaro iric-z with 25,000 original miles! He let it sit for 12 years. He didn't drain oil or gas or do anything to prepare it for storage. It was kept outside for a little then moved indoors. What can i expect to see if i try to get it running? Sorry about such a wide topic but im just curious. Thanks for any advice!

Old 10-16-2008, 07:53 PM
BackseatBob
Default RE: 86 iroc sitting for 12 years

12 years? holy crap dude. Well, I would change the oil first off. My brother's car had a similar fate, it was sitting for 10 years before he got it. The oil was TERRIBLE, it had broken down. The gasoline had decomposed and gunked up everything in the gas tank and in the lines, so check that. HIS car was outside the whole time though, so yours may not be too bad, but we'll see, eh?

Old 10-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Overdrive Member

The gas in the tank does not knowif the car is inside or out. Don't try to start it without dropping the tank and cleaning it out or replacing it first. While you at it you may see it will need a new pick up and fuel pump.
Might also want to put have oil and half tranny fluid in the crank case and run it for a few minutes. The tranny fluid mayhelp clean out the oil passages.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Before you even change the oil, pull all the spark plugs and soak the cylinders down with penetrating oil (PB Blaster). Let it set for at least a day. Then try to turn the engine over by HAND. If it does turn over, keep working it over for a number of revolutions to be sure the rings are freed up. If you don't turn it over this way, and just try to crank the engine over with the starter, you could snap a ring or more if they are fused to the cylinder walls.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:21 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

Before you even change the oil, pull all the spark plugs and soak the cylinders down with penetrating oil (PB Blaster). Let it set for at least a day. Then try to turn the engine over by HAND. If it does turn over, keep working it over for a number of revolutions to be sure the rings are freed up. If you don't turn it over this way, and just try to crank the engine over with the starter, you could snap a ring or more if they are fused to the cylinder walls.
That is another good point!
Tranny fluid will also work in place of PB blaster as well and may be cheaper. And as you are turning it over by hand you will know if you have good compression because that stuff will come shooting out the spark plug hole!

Old 10-17-2008, 04:07 PM

ok thanks for the info...i went and looked at it today and it has 21,437 miles 3 tires are flat but the interior and exterior is immaculet! But i will check the stuff that you guys said to do once i buy the car from him. Ohh and are there any people on here who are 16 and are driving an IROC-Z? i was wondering what you are paying for insurance. it probably an arm and a leg

Old 10-17-2008, 04:21 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: MARO Z86

ok thanks for the info...i went and looked at it today and it has 21,437 miles 3 tires are flat but the interior and exterior is immaculet! But i will check the stuff that you guys said to do once i buy the car from him. Ohh and are there any people on here who are 16 and are driving an IROC-Z? i was wondering what you are paying for insurance. it probably an arm and a leg
yeah itll be a good price. im 18 and drive a z28 and pay 80 bucks a month 10 months out of the year. so in my opinion its not too bad but ive had my license for 2 years now. your rates will more than likely be higher since you just got your license

Old 10-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Overdrive Member

What you pay also depends on where you live. Go online and get quotes using different zip codes and you will see. Southern California has terible drivers andover crowded highways and Northern California pays more for insurance so So-Cal can pay less than what they should

Old 10-18-2008, 04:55 PM

so thats 800 every 10 months? That sounds really low! Where do you live? I'm in New Castle Delaware

Old 10-18-2008, 05:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

pictures??

Quick Reply: 86 iroc sitting for 12 years