82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

305 swapping to 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 305 swapping to 350

my engine needs to much work so swapping for a 350. Im getting one for $90
Mines a 84 z28 and it came from a 88 iroc. He said it needs new bearings,intake, and carb, other than that is complete. It was a tpi but he said I could just put a carb intake on and it would be good. I have a edelbrock intake sitting here so thats no big. More advice he gave was to put my heads onto it because it has better compression on my 305 H.O. I was wondering if I should get the block machined and how much it would cost about. Than should I buy a rebuild kit or peice by peice? I would like to have some nice power and sound prett good too, not very loud just in the middle. Right now she just hmms/purrs lol.
One I get it Ill take some photos and post them up I ordered a engine craddle should be here by wens/thursday so I'll get him to drop it off about the same day.

Im looking to spend $500-800 on the engine
Than maybe a new exhaust? maybe $500
Maybe like 100-150 a week into it. a Slow project.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:10 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

if it was a tpi, see if you can get that setup and put it on ebay, you can get about $300 for a complete intake. as for the motor, make sure it is a 1988 block so you can get the correct seals, gaskets, and bearings. there were 3 changes between 85, 86, and 87 involving the rear main seal, which also effects the flywheel/flex plate. as for swapping the heads, I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU DON'T DO THAT. a 350 has a hard enough time breathing through the stock 1.94/1.50 valves, let alone though those of smaller 305. yes, the compression is bumped up resulting in more power, but the smaller valves are going to keep you from using that power. stick with the heads that are on the motor already, and don't bother machining the deck if you arent going to have the engine rebuilt. just get the correct intake manifold to go with the centerbolt heads.

as far as bearings, what does it need? im going to assume just rod and crank bearings. theyre going to be easier and cheaper to get as a set and should run around $60-80 from a local parts store, and a complete gasket and seal kit from mr. gasket is about $40. if you want to put a little more into it, get a small cam and stiffer valve springs. i suggest a cam no larger than .490" lift so you dont create any other problems and to keep yours costs low. you can get a set of shorty headers and y-pipe and finish it off with a 3 inch cat back and it should be able to run you around at a decent speed.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member

right now i got $300 is this a nice cam? it on sale for $130 cheaper.
the tpi intake was taken off it. was the only thing really missing.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-31402000/

I wanted to get the motor bored out .030 and do a complete rebuild I'm in no rush, as I got my 305 in decent working shape right now. I will update with pictures of the motor soon. micro please keep in touch your close and seem like you know your stuff.
ty

Old 06-28-2009, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Name:  HPIM1734.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  123.5 KB

Old 06-29-2009, 08:23 AM
3rd Gear Member

[quote=Mesosneaky;334222]my engine needs to much work so swapping for a 350. Im getting one for $90
Mines a 84 z28 and it came from a 88 iroc. He said it needs new bearings,intake, and carb, other than that is complete. It was a tpi but he said I could just put a carb intake on and it would be good. I have a edelbrock intake sitting here so thats no big. More advice he gave was to put my heads onto it because it has better compression on my 305 H.O. I was wondering if I should get the block machined and how much it would cost about. Than should I buy a rebuild kit or peice by peice? I would like to have some nice power and sound prett good too, not very loud just in the middle. Right now she just hmms/purrs lol.
One I get it Ill take some photos and post them up I ordered a engine craddle should be here by wens/thursday so I'll get him to drop it off about the same day.

That motor looks suspect to me, double check that it is indeed a 350. It is at least an 87 or newer, but I didn't notice the correct sending units for the temperature. I do the the temp switch and oil pressure sending units though. If the guy lied about it being from an Iroc, it may be a silverado motor.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

How can I double check its a 350? I work with the guy every day and he assures its a 350, and said he is almost positive it came from an iroc but not 99%. Is there a number on the block that would verify? where exactly is it at? I'll get it tomorrow.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

There should be a block number on the back of the block somewhere. Camaro69 would probobly know exactly where its located and where you can decode it at. I thought it was passenger (right side) on the block, or below the head. If not, you're just going to have to check the bore. It very well could be from the Iroc, but you never know. I just saw some things that looked a little unfamiliar, especially that oil cooler and odd sending unit stuff. Its best to know for sure before you start putting time and $ into it.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Look on the bellhousing flange of the block. Should be a casting number on the drivers side, and casting date either on the passenger side, or more towards the center, or even on the drivers side. Some blocks also have the displacement cast onto it such as 5.0 or 5.7. If you can't find what you're looking for, check on the sides of the block too. Also check that vertical boss right behind the oil sending unit, that's another possible place for numbers. You'll need to clean off a little grunge to do some checking.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:42 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

and there is always a sure fire way of knowing if you pull the head and measure the piston. if it is 4 inches or greater, then it is at least a 350. the sending unit looks like it was swapped to run an aftermarket gauge, and the oil cooler is after market as well, possibly used to cure an overheating issue with it being an old engine.
the cam you picked out looks like a decent streetable cam, it wont cause any vacuum issues and will have a slightly noticeable idle to those who know what theyre listening to.

also, the 2 o2 sensors, im not familiar with that. i know the 88-92 used a map instead of a maf, is that why? my 86 has a single o2 on the passenger side.

Last edited by microkid; 06-29-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks alot guys I'm going to try my best to get to the garage tomorrow to check it out. I want to take my smog pulley off, change my oil , and clean up my engine abit. I went fishing all day today lol. Didnt really catch anything but a few bait fish/shiners

Quick Reply: 305 swapping to 350