82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

1996 5.7L V-8 Camaro, NEED Help Troubleshooting!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Default 1996 5.7L V-8 Camaro, NEED Help Troubleshooting!!

Hello again, and thank you everyone who helped me troubleshoot my last big problem which ended up being my stupid fuel pump.

Here are all the details (beware wall of text inc

1996 Camaro V-8 5.7L LT1 (obv lol =P)

alright, the FIRST time this happened, i was randomly driving around base at ~35 MPH on base DIRECTLY after filling up, (i always use 91 Octane Chevron fuel) and my camaro freaks the F**k out, loses horsepower in 3rd gear, i stomp the gas pedal and the car just wont gain any RPMS it shuts off, all the guages freeze in place. I pull over to the side of the road, and now my car wont start.

i finally get it started and it wont go past 2500 RPM in neutral without dropping and shutting itself off, eventually after 15 minutes of trying to get it to start again, i think to cycle my ignition and listen to my fuel pump to see if its pre charging (fuel pump+fuel filter are 3 months old) i can hear it buzzing when i cycle the ignition so its working, so i turn it over again, this time it starts, and its acting like nothing was ever wrong, but it feels alot more sluggish since the 1st incident.

2nd incident- im driving down the 62 @ 70 MPH in 6th gear and the same thing happens. Again i had just filled up, coming back from ontario. guages go retarded, car loses power and shuts itself off, this time it only took me a few minutes to get it started, fuel pump sounds fine once again, i drive home..no problems that are noticeable other than it feels more sluggish than usual and it feels like its shifting a little bit harder

3rd Incident- Today, im driving @35 MPH here on base in 29 Palms, and in 2nd gear my camaro just loses power i stomp on the clutch it goes to idle and backfires once, ive NEVER had a backfire at all in this car it only has 88k Miles on it and i take damn good care of it. Im nearly afraid to drive anywhere at this point because these incidents are unpredictable my job in the marine corps is to troubleshoot UAV's its what i do, but im at a loss for words, and so are my co workers. I have some new AC Delco plugs and ive been meaning to replace my spark plugs for awhile now but i cant see how that would be related to this, other than the Backfire, which could be unburnt fuel from the block being expelled out the exhaust.(correct me if im wrong please)

i have a check engine light on, but the only code its Throwing is P1441 (Purge Canister Solenoid 24$ @ Autozone) i have one on order atm, i dont see how EVAP would be related to this at all, the car acts like its not getting fuel for a second and then its fine, it hasnt been nearly as severe as the frist incident. but im beyond worried.

Known:
-Not Overheating
-No Low Oil Pressure
-No Visible or Audible Vacuum Leaks
-Rougher Idle Than Normal, No Searching Sits @ 1k.
-Power Steering Pump is Going out light audible whine (relevance?)
-Noticeable Loss Of Horsepower
-Shifting harder than normal, (6 speed T56 Tranny)

Possible Pro:blem
-Bad Spark Plugs Causing Cylinder Misfires, Resulting in loss of horsepower and car shutting off, possibly bad spark plug wires/boots.
-Bad Fuel filter (before or after tank?)
- P1441 possible Relevance?
-Fuel Pump Overheating
-Water In Fuel Tank
-Timing???
-Coils in distributor??

My knowledge of this engine is roughly a 6/10 any advice or troubleshooting tips i can get would be GREATLY appreciated.I'm 100% stumped and i refuse to shotgun this, and start replacing s**t without probable cause, any advice or help would be absolutely amazing.

Hell if anyone is in the 29 Palms area, PM me here and maybe you can see this for yourself. this is my daily driver and i just dont know what to do about this one

Thank you again and im sorry about the wall of text but the more information that i can give the better. Any replies here go straight to my phone, and ill do my best to get back to any of you ASAP!! also if anyone could point me toward any online manuals that may help id appreciate that as well i believe theyre called "Chilton Manuals?"

thank you again.

Note: Im literally on the verge of pulling and replacing the entire damn block at this point and throwing this engine off a cliff. Im only sitting @315 RWHP which is not much, and this has me severely frustrated.

-LCPL Lego

Old 06-14-2010, 01:54 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

have you tried an injector cleaner???? Sounds like they may be plugged.... and bad at this point lol id try that first its like $7,,, then id almost wonder if you dont have alot of gunk built up in the gas tank... rare but i have heard of it

Old 06-14-2010, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear member

darknight is right it could be something in your tank when your filling up it could be stirring stuff up and going into your injectors and it takes time to release the pressure for it to restart

Old 06-14-2010, 02:20 PM

I used something called "Gumout" once when my Fuel Pump was replaced, what product would you reccomend and what should I do, just fill up and pour that crap in the gas tank. and what about my spark plugs/wires/boots. would they be of any consequence?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:23 PM

and what could possibly be in my tank? Its a sealed environment. I cant imagine what could have gotten in there, I bought this car used for about $4,800 and its been nothing but downhill since then, and ive done nothing but maintain fluids and run premium gas along with a single Oil change ive barely put 3k miles on it.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:25 PM
2nd Gear member

how long did it sit before you bought it

Old 06-14-2010, 02:27 PM

have you tried an injector cleaner???? Sounds like they may be plugged.... and bad at this point lol id try that first its like $7,,, then id almost wonder if you dont have alot of gunk built up in the gas tank... rare but i have heard of it
would this be a good product to buy?

http://www.stp.com/products/fuel-add...ystem-cleaner/

Old 06-14-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Stix80
how long did it sit before you bought it
It was a daily driver to my knowledge. The owner worked at a GM Dealership and i talked to a mechanic who worked on it, and he told me the vehicle was in good condition, but then again it could have been some cruel ruse to F**k over a single marine. and help out his buddy. Word of mouth is not always truth unfortunately

Old 06-14-2010, 02:33 PM
2nd Gear member

i personally like lucas products and i was just wondering if it has sludge in the tank from sitting

Old 06-14-2010, 02:40 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

for the injectors i would and have used seafoam... i love that stuff,,, and when a tanker fills up a gas station its stirs up a bunch of sand and old sludge at the bottom of their tanks, so when you fill up say an hour or so after they fill you could have picked up some of that junk

Quick Reply: 1996 5.7L V-8 Camaro, NEED Help Troubleshooting!!