82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

1991 Z28 Camaro Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Default 1991 Z28 Camaro Convertible

I have a few questions. I have a Red 1991 Z28 Camaro Convertible V8 TPI. It has 166k miles. Tomorrow i am getting A/C (stupid when it's getting cold out already, i know). My father drove this car as a daily driver for about 11 years. My dad passed it down to me and i've had it for about a year now. It runs okay. Has some trouble starting up at times. When my dad had the camaro he did some engine upgrades to get about 20hp more and got a full hooker exhaust system. Before he got a new car he put the camaro into storage. Well, his idea of storage is leaving it outside at a mechanics shop for 4 years. The paint has a few spots but nothing major, the ride is a little bumpy because of bad shocks, the engine is quite dirty. The interior is better then i would have imagined but weather stripping is non-existent. The driver seat is ripped to shreds and the passenger seat has a small rip, but the rear seats are in great condition because their always folded down, the carpet is not dirty except for the driver side. I give the car a full detail about once every 2 weeks from what i have left over from my detailing business. The dashboard is cracked but i have a brand new one from ebay straight out of a 1991 camaro. The gauge cluster is dirty, i've tried everything to clean it but nothing seems to work. The gas guage is not working properly but i believe it's the fuel pump because it makes a whining sound when im low on gas and i take a wide turn. I put a sound system in last Christmas since it's my first car and since my dad had one when he had the car. My dad has replaces the roof once and had gotten a few fenders painted. I have a new bumper, dashboard, steering wheel, automatic shifter ***, buttons, and Chevy bowtie grille. My headlights are dangerously bad, i can't see 15 feet infront of me. I havent had the time to change them out and i can't seem to find any original headlights that aren't as bad as mine.

Now, I would love to drive this car for at least another 3 years. What steps can i take to accomplish this? How would i go about cleaning my engine and exhaust tips? My rear window on the convertible is not glass so it has some sort of mildew growing on the inside of the plastic and obscures my vision making me have to use my side view mirrors to see behind me. Since it's an old car, what should and what whouldn't i replace? How could i tell if one of my pistons is not working without bringing it to a mechanic? The engine is my biggest concern, sometimes it wont start up for a while and i have to sit and wait till it finally does. If i leave my sound system on before i turn the car off it drains my battery even though the car is off and nothing is playing, how do i fix this?

I apolagize for all the questions but I want to restore my first camaro, which is also my dream car, with my dad. I am quite low on money so any tips on cheap tune ups would be appreciated. If you think i missed anything that should be fixed please say so!