82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

1989 IROC-Z 5.7L. Starting and missing issues.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by microkid
i was just looking at my fuel rails to refresh my memory as to why i took it out as one peice. there are a few aluminum tubes that run across the rails as well as the fpr. i left them attached because i know the nature of aluminum and that its very easy to strip the threads. i also think they were seized together. i dont remember if the 4 bolts are possible to get to with the runner and plenums attached, but if you have a ratcheting wrench, you may be in luck.
I will take a good long look at it before I go pulling the runners and plenum off. I have practically every tool known to man at my disposal, so if there is a way to do it, I will find it.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I really doubt you will be able to get the injectors out without removing the plenum. It might even be difficult to get them out with the runners on. But again, let me know how it goes and how much you have to take out to get them out

Old 12-28-2009, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by draggo144
I really doubt you will be able to get the injectors out without removing the plenum. It might even be difficult to get them out with the runners on. But again, let me know how it goes and how much you have to take out to get them out
It is possible to get them out without pulling the plenum, but I couldn't do it. One of the bolts was too tight for me to get with a wrench, so I had to pull the plenum off. Being perfectly honest, as easy as it is to pull that plenum, it's worth it. The runners can stay attached to the engine and you can get them all out. Now I just need to order some and install em. Took me a grand total of 1 hour to pull em. Not too bad if you ask me.

Last edited by JC316; 12-28-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:26 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

do you know if the fuel pressure regulator has been rebuilt or replaced any time recently? might be some cheap insurance to go ahead and replace the diaphragm now while you have it apart. i dont know if you use ethanol blended gas, but that really tears those up. you will need a t10 or t15 tamperproof torx bit to get it done, but its relatively easy to do

Old 01-04-2010, 06:21 PM

Fuel injectors fixed the cold start issue. I still have a slight shudder at 2500 RPM that I can't figure out. Has loads more power, but I was expecting more oomph from it. I figured that 240HP would have more zing to it.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:40 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

it was only 240hp once. considering mileage and even the best of maintnance, dont expect more than 210 hp. the shudder could be caused from the o2 sensor being bad after such an issue, or worse, something bad may have happened internally from either excess or lack of fuel (depending on how the injector went bad). give it a while to run and let the ecm relearn, and clean the cobwebs out. if there is still a shudder and lack of power, there may be another issue

Old 01-04-2010, 09:12 PM

it was only 240hp once. considering mileage and even the best of maintnance, dont expect more than 210 hp. the shudder could be caused from the o2 sensor being bad after such an issue, or worse, something bad may have happened internally from either excess or lack of fuel (depending on how the injector went bad). give it a while to run and let the ecm relearn, and clean the cobwebs out. if there is still a shudder and lack of power, there may be another issue
It has power, I can slide it all over the road, but I was expecting a tad more. Could be that I am used to a Mustang GT with a Mark VIII 32V engine and 5 speed in it.

The shudder is nothing internal, feels almost like if you cross a spark plug wire, but I have already checked that. I had accidentally swapped the injector plugs, but that is fixed now. It did smooth out and sound better after I did that, but the 2500RPM shudder is still there. Wondering if I crossed another set somewhere.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:35 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

a crossed injector wire probably wouldnt hurt anything as its a batch fire type of injection, and not sequential. double check all the wires and check your timing.

btw, an 06 eclipse gt will keep up with a 6lb boosted version of that mustang. wont beat it from a roll, but the mustang only tip toed away

Old 01-05-2010, 09:46 PM

a crossed injector wire probably wouldnt hurt anything as its a batch fire type of injection, and not sequential. double check all the wires and check your timing.

btw, an 06 eclipse gt will keep up with a 6lb boosted version of that mustang. wont beat it from a roll, but the mustang only tip toed away
I have triple checked all of the wires, only thing that might be happening is the number 8 wire may be loose since it's such a bastard to get at. I will check the timing on it tomorrow.

Don't know how an 06 eclipse could keep up with a boosted mustang, even if it was the 215HP engine in the Mustang.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:48 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

the eclipse is factory rated at 263 hp, but his was around 250 at the wheels. i dont think the mustang was getting traction though, the stickers that had been on his tires when we caught up to him were gone when we stopped to talk

Quick Reply: 1989 IROC-Z 5.7L. Starting and missing issues.