what`s got hot!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 03:38 AM
Default what`s got hot!!

Hi Guys, a little help please. I have an 91 RS 3.1 with 60,000 on the clock. I have owned her for 5 years without any problems at all. The other day I went out and after about 7miles it just died, no warning at all, it was just like the key was turned of. I tryed to restart but nothing. after waiting for an hour the recovery mancomes, heopens the hood and says "never seen one of these mate" (not many Camaros on UK roads) My hart sinks, "turn the key and lets see what happens" he says. I turn, the engine starts instantly, it drives home without problem. I think something is getting hot, but what? Coil maybe, I don`t know. Any ideas please. Thanks.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: what`s got hot!!

Do you have an alarm? I have seen so many go bad and kill the engine on people like you described. Did you leave out anything? Like does a service engine light come on?

Old 11-18-2007, 03:21 AM

Thanks MadMikez28, There is no alarm fitted apart from the factory fitted key recognition system and the service light is working ok. When the engine is cold it starts andruns rearly well. If the temperature gauge is to be believed the engine never runs to hot, I think the fan has only cut in once in the 5 years I`ve had the car.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:14 AM
Overdrive Member

Well that was my first best guess.
Now you need to find out what you lose when it dies. Fuel or spark? Most of the time when I see fuel pumps go it is usualy when you go to restart the car. If the relay was getting hot the oil pressure should keep the fuel pump working.
Ignition modules can do funny things. I had one on a later vehicle give me an intermitent missfire and poor running condition. It was always bad and the vehicle would run fine at times. I noticed while driving and running fine that the tach was jumping around but the rpms were not.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:19 PM

Sounds good to me, I`m going to buy myself a Chiltons Manual, then try to get itto brake down in the garage, if its sparking it must be fuel, right? thanks for the wise words MadMikeZ28.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Overdrive Member

Yes if there is spark then check fuel. And if possible look for an older Chiltons not printed by haynes. They way you can tell when they are wrapped in plastic is the Chiltons printed by haynes has no "S" at the end so it would just say Chilton.
And if its printed by haynes it will be thin. (showing a lack of information on the inside)

Old 11-24-2007, 02:14 AM

You guys are the best. thanks MadMikeZ28, for all the help. Your friend over the pond, U K Chris. PS Happy Cristmas to you and yours.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

check your starter too... and make sure there arent any leaking fluids... might as well since your in there anyway

Old 11-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: n8_camaro_92

check your starter too... and make sure there arent any leaking fluids... might as well since your in there anyway
One would hope since the last post was 11/24/07 that the person got their problem fixed by now.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:29 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Get out your shovel, time to dig up some old deep posts! [8D]