V6 to V8?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 05:50 PM

There wont be any major issues with the power steering, but some of the other accessories may(read 'should')be upgraded, like the cooling system,and exhaust. Make sure you have a vacuum source for the brakes, I did this swap once a forgot to do this, man, talk about SURPRISE.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:00 PM

True statement about the regulator before the carb, but I wasnt able to find a regulator that would lower the 35psi(even higher off-idle demand) to a carb friendly 7psi. Also true about the budjet, but don,t let that stop you from looking around for a deal. In this economy, I've seen stuff going for cheap on places like Craigslist and Ebay.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:19 PM

Thats a true statement about using a regulator before the carb, but I wasnt able to find a regulator that would reduce the 35+psi down to a carb friendly 7 psi.
Also true, a restrictive budget makes doing a swap like this harder, but not impossible.
In an economy like this one, I've found some real good deals on parts and even whole drivetrains from unfinished projects, ex-race cars, even wrecks on places like Craigslist and Ebay. So if you want it bad enough, become a parts hound, do your research. There never seems to be a shortage of CAMARO lovers willing to help.
Remember, 'there is more than one way to skin a cat'. Use this info as a guidline, nothing is etched in stone. Heck, I know a guy who put a turbine jet engine in a S10 and did it with all used parts(total investment less than$10k including the price of the truck)and he had no Forum to go to. Where there's a will there's a way.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:48 PM

So i have an 87 camaro not rs jus plain old maro its got a 2.8l v6 that i blew up im lookin at a carburated 350 out of a saburban and a turbo 350 tranny but i was told there is a torque bar from the tranny to the rear diff will any turbo 350 tranny work or do i need to look for one out of another camaro/ transam or can i use the tranny and diff thats already in it the tranny that is in it is a four speed auto but how can i tell whether or not it is a 700 r4 or in that case what it is

Old 03-11-2010, 10:10 AM

Any camaro with a 2.8 is hooked up to a 200R-4. A v8 can be hooked up to this but it is hard to tell how the tranny will hold up to the v8.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

Check the stickies on this forum. They have a lot better info on what you'll need and what you won't. Don't assume anything, such as the mention of V6's mated to only 200R4. The one thing I agree with here is that budget builds are very difficult and there are always lots of accessories needed to be bought that kill the overall budget.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:16 AM

I was told that the bell housing on my tranny out of the v6 will not bolt up to a 350 ? He said the bolt pattern on the tranny will be different from the motor even if this tranny does fit will it take the aabuse?

Old 03-13-2010, 11:17 AM

What are stickies?